Monday, March 15, 2021

Started by Opa George, March 15, 2021, 05:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on March 15, 2021, 10:24:40 AM
Bob, consider health insurance as part of your early retirement planning.  You can do CORBA for 18 months, I think.  Otherwise, you'll get some "sticker shock" when you look at individual health insurance costs (even with Obamacare plans.)

COBRA is out of the question for me.  I've seen what it costs.  I'll be working until I'm at least 65 (19 months from now). My original plan was to retire at 66 1/2.  Now I'm trying to figure out how soon between 65 and 66 1/2 I can afford to retire or if I'll have to stick it out until 66 1/2.   :) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

tom.boyd.125

Afternoon shift checking in,
Still catching up on the time zone zzz thing...had 60's over the weekend, winter returns this afternoon with snow, sleet, freezing rain.
Spouse had her birthday with the kids all came over to visit...as for me packing candy at the shop to help out on Saturday...
If anyone retires early like me at 62...figure 5k to 10k a year for medical/dental...until Medicare comes around...and that does not cover dental...
Tax time starts this week here...Second round of shots late this month...Stay Safe !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

deemery

Once you're 65, COBRA isn't a realistic option...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

Bob...

Once 65 you should not need cobra.  I'm putting below a particular link to Florida for a non profit service in your state.  Most states have one. In downtown Idaho it is called SHIBA.... Senior Health Insurance Benefits Advisors. It is a non profit and they have nothing to sell and no axe to grind. 

I find financial advisors a bit alarming.  If you have one who lives in an apartment you don't need much assistance. If he has a cabin and a boat on the lake  you need to put him on a retainer ! ! !  Sort of like insurance guys.

You don't need to be of retirement age to talk to these people.
Florida SHIP Website:
www.floridashine.org
Phone: 800-963-5337
Program Name: SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders)
About
: SHINE is Florida's state health insurance assistance program for elder Floridians. SHINE provides educational materials and free unbiased insurance counseling to Florida elders, caregivers and family members. The goal is to help elders understand and receive the health insurance coverage they need through Medicare, Medicaid, Prescription Assistance, Long-Term Care Planning & Insurance, and other health care issues. Contact SHINE if you have questions by dialing the Elder Helpline at 1-800-963-5337.

Hope this helps
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

bparrish

Tom...

When I was in college in Chicago I had a girl friend in Decatur, Illinois.  I went through that station about twice a month as I would go down there on alternate weekends during fall of '64 and spring of '66.

At the time it was called the Dearborn Street Station.  I think it is a shopping mall now as the tracks and sheds were pulled out in the '70's

Cool photo.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

ReadingBob

Thanks for the info on Health Insurance gang.  I'm not quite there yet but I need to start thinking about turning 65 (that happens next year) and navigating the health care maze since I don't plan on working forever.   :o

The things you can learn on this forum.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.