16th Century Bridge Building Animation

Started by Rail and Tie, March 18, 2021, 01:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail and Tie

Ever wonder how they constructed those stone bridges before the day of steam?
Must have been an army of masons...

https://youtu.be/nJgD6gyi0Wk
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Absolutely mesmerizing, and very impressive.
Respect!

--Opa George

Rail and Tie

Quote from: Rail and Tie on March 18, 2021, 01:53:24 PM
Ever wonder how they constructed those stone bridges before the day of steam?
Must have been an army of masons...

https://youtu.be/nJgD6gyi0Wk

Darn copy and past from Youtube does that every time. Thanks Tom.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

GPdemayo

Loved the video.....labor was relatively cheap, relative to the total project cost, in those days and allowed the designs to be a bit more labor intensive than projects today.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Zephyrus52246

I'd never thought about how they did it.  Really cool video.  Thanks for the link.

Jeff

Oldguy

I want to know how they removed those pilings that were driven down to refusal.  Perhaps a long lever?  Placed on what?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Cool video none the less.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Bernd

Quote from: Oldguy on March 19, 2021, 09:50:45 AM
I want to know how they removed those pilings that were driven down to refusal.  Perhaps a long lever?  Placed on what?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I was thinking the same thing. How'd you remove those posts. Plus building right on the bottom of the river bed. I'm thinking the foundation would have sunk into the mud. Some where on the net has got to be something about them building the Brooklyn Bridge way back when.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Oldguy

Quote from: Bernd on March 19, 2021, 12:32:24 PM
Quote from: Oldguy on March 19, 2021, 09:50:45 AM

I was thinking the same thing. How'd you remove those posts. Plus building right on the bottom of the river bed. I'm thinking the foundation would have sunk into the mud. Some where on the net has got to be something about them building the Brooklyn Bridge way back when.

Bernd

PBS did a show of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge.  They used caissons with guys at the bottom mucking it out by hand.  A number of them died of the bends, if I recall corrected.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Darryl:

Really cool animation. I really enjoyed watching it.

Karl S.

deemery

The Romans understood and constructed cofferdams, and they'd schedule the piers for when the river was at its low point. I think there's pictures on Trajan's Column.  We've driven across a couple of Roman bridges in Spain and France. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

craftsmankits

You learn something 'old' everyday.  That was an awesome video.  Love this hobby for all the things you learn out of nowhere.