Scratchbuilding Scranton - North Washington Avenue Project

Started by EricQuebec, March 21, 2021, 05:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

Eric....

Could you give us a more compete materials list and places on line where they are available. 

Thanx

Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

EricQuebec

Hello Everybody,

First, thank you Bob for your comment. Unfortunately, I didn't write a "Grocery list» of the material involved in this project. the only things that are sure is the Tichy reference of the window (8236) pieces of store front  (8120) and the lite door/transom (8116). The brick material is from Monstermodelworks (1/32 thick), and the strip wood (all size from 1 x2 to 18 x 12) are part from Northeastern scale lumber, and part from remaining pieces from previously built kits.

This week I wasn't in the mood to make the finish the roof of the bay window, I've prefer to work on the store front of the building. I can't describe all the step I've do to achieve (one reason is that I don't have the architectural vocabulary to do it, and second is it would be fastidious to read). I prefer to give you four pictures of this step by step. 

Finally I've paint the storefront with acrylic Pine Green color (Cermacoat  Brand), and dry brush it with folkart vintage white.
Here's the final result.

The next step is the big cornice located between the storefront and the brick Brick front of the building.
Stay tuned, to be continued.

Eric

postalkarl

Hey Eric:

The store front looks great.

Karl

EricQuebec

Mark Dalrymple

Really nice, Eric.

I take it you used strip-wood to make the ornate columns?

Cheers, Mark.

EricQuebec

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on April 11, 2021, 09:37:52 PM
Really nice, Eric.

I take it you used strip-wood to make the ornate columns?

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark,
Yes, the base of the columns are 18" x 12" (scale). then the ornament are doing with 1 x 3, 2 x12, 1x10, 2x6 ans 1 x2
All the columns are made at the same time, all pieces of ornament are cutting with the choppers to be assured to have the same lenght for all the columns. In this kind of work, the beauty came with the regularity and repetitiveness of the pattern.
Eric

postalkarl

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

EricQuebec

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHi Mark,
Yes, the base of the columns are 18" x 12" (scale). then the ornament are doing with 1 x 3, 2 x12, 1x10, 2x6 ans 1 x2
All the columns are made at the same time, all pieces of ornament are cutting with the choppers to be assured to have the same lenght for all the columns. In this kind of work, the beauty came with the regularity and repetitiveness of the pattern.
Eric

Thanks for that, Eric.

I'd guessed pretty much right for all the sizes.  I recently started scratchbuilding my freight doors and discovered the ease of cutting multiple pieces for multiple doors at the same time.  I think what I enjoy most is the ease at which you can paint 2 different colours by simply painting the timber before assembly.

Cheers, Mark.

restocarp

This is wonderful work, Eric. Super inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

Matt

EricQuebec

Quote from: restocarp on April 13, 2021, 08:54:34 AM
This is wonderful work, Eric. Super inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

Matt
Thank you for your comment Matt.
Eric

EricQuebec

Hello everyone,
An other time, thank you for all your comments.
Lot of progress this week on the first building.
I started the week by cutting all the part needed to make de left side of the building. It consist of a large piece of 1/32 thick basswood that will be cover with his sister in 1/32 Monstermodelworks  birck sheet, and somes part to make a door.

Then I've glue the two part together and assemble de recessed door wjth the two step

After what I've paint the wall with the FOlkart Italian sage color, and drybrush it a little bit. I've two Pilar and a small cornice for the door, I think this detail ad a lot and fit in the architectural style.

I've then assembled the two wall together at square.

As you can constat, the front side is almost 1/4 inch thick and be irregular on the thickness due to the different layer of the brick work.

to be continued in a few

EricQuebec

This problem was anticipate When I've do the draw (it's probably the part the most difficult when I've make a draw), and I've do a template for the piece that need to be done to cover this. So I've glue the template on the brick sheet cut it, beselled the edge and and glue it in place

Once dry I've remove the paper template, et the result is fine  :)

Finally I've work on the 'cornice Box' that will be make the junction between the wall and the store front, and take a final picture to test the fitting.

That's all for this week. thanks for watching.

Stay tuned to be continued next week
Eric

Mark Dalrymple

Beautiful work, Eric.

Your solution to the corner problem worked out great.  I also think the recessed side door adds a great deal.  Before I read your comment and had just looked at the photo I said out loud 'that's cool'.

Great progress, cheers, Mark.