Started by EricQuebec, March 21, 2021, 05:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

EricQuebec

postalkarl

Hey Eric:

All is really looking great. Keep the pic coming.

Karl

EricQuebec

Hello Everybody,
Thank you Karl for your comment, and to all the followers of this project.
An other time, a lot of progress this week.
First, I've glue in place the facia of the Bay window and sand the edge to take them at angle,

Then I've make a small cornice with 2x12, 2x8 and 1x2 strip wood and using small part that I,ve found several years ago at hobby shop in the Boat construction  section.

This cornice will be glue on the top and on the middle of the Bay window. then I'Ve used several size of strip wood to make the ornament of the Bay window and finally  paint it with Acryic «Linen» color folkart paint.Once totally dry, I've wash it with my «Light» AI solution. Here's the final result of the Bay window

The roof of the Bay window have a domed hexagonal shape, that necessite a lot of mathematic with Sinus, cosinus angle to be done. Fortunately, I've found a web site that make all the calcul for me, I've just provide the Height of the Arc, and his lenght. The application have calculate each quote of the part. I've finally draw the template with corel draw, and cut all the part in Evergreen styrene

To be continued in a few

EricQuebec

Then I've assembled all the part.

The final result totally perfect and need to be sanded a little bit, but for a first try, i've judged it very acceptable, and not be needed to be rebuild a second time

THen I've paint the brick wall. for it, I've begin by primed it with oxide red color. then I've applied four colour with sponge (Burnt sienna, Georgia clay, raw sienna and ocher). I've paint some brick individually too

Then I've make the mortar line with remabrandt brand chalk (the lighter shade of Umber) and take a pictures to test all the part together.

That's all for today. feel free to comment.
to be continued.
Eric

Mark Dalrymple

You do gorgeous work, Eric!

That bay window is spectacular!  Great to see you using soh-cah-toa too.  All the skills model railroading brings out...  The white of the bay window contrasts very nicely with your brickwork.

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Eric,

Your craftsmanship is absolutely fantastic. As Karl would say, "Can't wait to see the rest!"

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Great modeling, and the bay windows have a nice contrast with the bricks.

If you painted the window frames on both the brick wall and the bay windows the same contrasting color, it would tie everything together (typical Victorian paint pattern.)  How about a color like yellow ochre? 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

EricQuebec

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on May 16, 2021, 03:54:20 PM
You do gorgeous work, Eric!

That bay window is spectacular!  Great to see you using soh-cah-toa too.  All the skills model railroading brings out...  The white of the bay window contrasts very nicely with your brickwork.

Cheers, Mark.
Thank you Mark for your comment.
When I was young boy in school, I'have always asked why I must learn things like trigonometry or so. It's only more years later I've discover the application of that. I think, In mathematic classroom, the teacher can get more interest form their student by practice work, Imagine , you learn the trigonometry rules, and then, as practive you must construct a 3D form from in application of thios rules... that will be fun...

Eric

EricQuebec

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 16, 2021, 04:51:42 PM
Eric,

Your craftsmanship is absolutely fantastic. As Karl would say, "Can't wait to see the rest!"

Tom  ;D
Thank you for your comment Tom. I much appreciate it. :)

Eric

EricQuebec

Quote from: deemery on May 16, 2021, 05:02:45 PM
Great modeling, and the bay windows have a nice contrast with the bricks.

If you painted the window frames on both the brick wall and the bay windows the same contrasting color, it would tie everything together (typical Victorian paint pattern.)  How about a color like yellow ochre? 

dave
Thank you for the suggestion Dave. I will remain it in memories. But at this time, the widow bay of the first building is in ocher shade too. and I don't want to make repetitive color in this one.
thank you for watching :)
Eric

deemery

My brother was a carpenter, he had no interest in going to college.  But he had the family 'math gene'.  So when he'd have to work out complex framing, he'd dig out a calculator and do the trig.  The other carpenters would just do it by trial-and-error.  So it was really funny when he joined the Carpenter's Union, and had to take their math test. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

restocarp

Eric,

Brilliant job on the bay window.

Matt

EricQuebec

EricQuebec

Hello Everybody,
Some small progress this week on this project, with the first real beautiful day, here in Quebec city, I've spent a lot of time outdoor on the patio, Summer is short here so..
First I've finish the domed hexagonal roof by cover it with "tar paper". I've prime it with oxyde red color, and then attenuate it with grey chalk. The picture  was taken during the process of weathering.

Then I've finih the store front by scratchbuilding a  door and glue the glasses in place.

I've finally assembled the three part of the front of the building

And test the fitting with the first building of this project. I'm really happy with the result.

Then I've begin to work on an other project for a friend... but it's an other story.
I think I will not make any update of this thread for 3 to five week..
stay tuned, will be continued in few weeks...
Eric