Jon H Olson Chemical Co DBA Skeeter's Fly Dope

Started by Jim Donovan, March 23, 2021, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

Well computer battery about dead so time to call it a night. Here are a couple final photos for tonight showing the windows test fitted in place along with interior frame in place (but not glued lots more to do first).

Holland & Odessa Railroad

GPdemayo

Amazing work with the printer Jim.....what's that name on the brick wall?  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Outstanding modeling Jim. Everything looks superb.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Jim,

Wow, what an incredible amount of work put in this build. Looks wonderful and lots of nice detail stuff as well.

Looks like a very fun build and upgraded kit bash.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jim Donovan

Quote from: GPdemayo on November 26, 2021, 07:53:18 AM

Why Mr. DeMayo that would be a faded sign for the Chemical Company; The great G. DeMayo Chemical and Rubber Company.  Wait until you learn what this great organization did in 1912 and what happened later. But that is for another time. Expect changes to what I have done, I just do not like the direction I have taken with this model, too busy.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 26, 2021, 08:09:32 AM
Outstanding modeling Jim. Everything looks superb.

Curt thanks I appreciate it. Wish I thought it looked good. More I looked at the pictures the more I thought too busy, too caught up with the 3D printing, just ugg. I will get it looking right just need to step away for awhile.

Thanks Again

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: ACL1504 on November 26, 2021, 09:58:59 AM
Jim,

Wow, what an incredible amount of work put in this build. Looks wonderful and lots of nice detail stuff as well.

Looks like a very fun build and upgraded kit bash.

Tom  ;D

Thanks for following and the encouragement Tom;

Yep lots of work, lots of hours put into learning the 3D stuff and no longer fun. It is just not coming to together. Going to step away from it for awhile. This is just going the wrong way.

Thanks

Jim D

deemery

Jim, I spent a totally frustrating afternoon with SketchUp.  My project so far is about 5 hours of design and 20 hours of frustration trying to get SketchUp to position things where they're supposed to be  >:(

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Quote from: Jim Donovan on November 28, 2021, 07:50:53 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on November 26, 2021, 07:53:18 AM

Why Mr. DeMayo that would be a faded sign for the Chemical Company; The great G. DeMayo Chemical and Rubber Company.  Wait until you learn what this great organization did in 1912 and what happened later. But that is for another time. Expect changes to what I have done, I just do not like the direction I have taken with this model, too busy.

Jim D

Uh Oh.....sounds like some maniacal plot is afoot.  ;)

Not sure what you see in the windows, but the design of the window trim, as well as many other parts of the building, back at the turn of the century could get quite elaborate and with cheap labor the construction was possible. Looking forward to seeing what you do next. :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jim Donovan

I worked my way through the issues with the layout of the building and settled on a final design for the interior. Anyone originally looking into the interior with the roof off would pretty much just see the I beams and the catwalk. A building this size does not necessarily need steel framing for the interior so I eliminated what was not actually required. Doing so will let people see the finished boiler, electrical generator and other pump house equipment. There will still be an upper level leading to the covered Bridge to the Chemical Building. The change required a complete re-work of the upper level section and catwalk. If I had made this part of the facility out of wood I would have saved more than 40 hours of frustration. Still, I learned a lot and structures designed by CAD are always available for future projects so the needed time the second time file is used is close to zero.There is much to do to finish the interior but that will wait for the exterior and roof to be completed. Here is a glimpse of current progress for the interior.

New Design has a staircase to the second floor. The deck goes across entire with of building:

A second upper level second will be designed to attach to first part and will enable a small upper level office to run Pump House.

The Industrial Boiler will have a blower, external smokestack system rather than a smokestack directly on the boiler. This will allow for the chimney stack to hopefully be made operational and produce smoke.

Jim Donovan

As the roof is removable to see the trusses and the interior I need to follow the construction methods a roof of this type would have. The corrugated sheets will be 10 x 2 made from KC Workshop corrugated paper. I have had good luck with this material. It holds paint well and glues in place easily.

Here is a sheet laid lengthwise, the width of sheet is 10 HO scale feet.

Using this straight cut cutting board I got from Micro-Mark a couple years ago I cut each strip to about 26 inches HO scale wide. The correct cut length is put onto the slide board and it is then locked in place. The sheet is fed in from the left until flush with slide board. Once flush you press down on the left had guide the paper went under. It is spring loaded to allow this. WIth the paper now locked in place use a new #2 knife blade to easily cut through the corrugated paper. When I felt the blade begin to catch on the paper instead of cleanly cutting through I threw the blade away and replaced it. The paper sheeting only looks real if no stray paper strands are seen so a sharp blade is a must.

Jim Donovan

To make the rafters I used 6 x 6 basswood, Since the rafters would not be out in the weather I wanted them to look somewhat aged but still natural. I had an old wash made by putting a steel wool sponge into a bottle of white vinegar. The resulting solution produces a rich hardwood look to basswood that I think looks natural.

If you look carefully at the following photo you will see where I had put blocks across the top of each truss. These blocks measure to allow a 6 x 6 rafter to sit in the brackets making alignment very easy.

I've already discussed how the roof truss system was designed and glued together.. The 6 x 6 basswood rafters however are the real feature that will hold everything together and provide the roof its rigidity,

Jim Donovan

What you are looking at here is the 3D designed Upper Clerestory I made for the Steam Pump House. I am getting a little better with Tinkercad, this design took about 10 hours. It has 10 windows that were designed to tilt open. I ended up gluing them in place since the feature really could not be seen. The frame of the Clerestory is made up of trusses like the lower roof and solid walls. The corners of the structure were designed so the corner pieces of 1/8 brick by Monster Modeling could be glued into the designed slots.

1/32 Monster Modeling brick first was cut and glued on the side walls, and the corner brick sections added. Finally, the entire structure was spray painted Chalk White Linen by Krylon. When dried the brick ends were covered in the same paint scheme as the rest of the brick. Care was taken so the mortar lines remained.

Thie windows frames were spray painted flat black. When dry, pre-cut clear styrene plastic was dipped into Revive Floor Acrylic and then placed in the window opening. The ten windows were glued in place when dry. I did not use glass for these windows. The Revive Acrylic is both a glue for the clear styrene and imparts a wavy 'old-fashion' glass look I think will show off well here.

Finally, 2 x 6 rafters were placed on the truss structure and glued in place using Hobby Lobby Super Glue (glues fast and adheres well to the resin frame)

Jim Donovan

To complete the roof I initially spray painted all corrugated sheets with a flat gray primer. I then used an airbrush to create random rust streaks on each one. Starting at the bottom left of the roof frame I placed the corrugated pieces one by one across the roof frame, gluing each in place with small drops of super glue on the frame section that would be covered. With the first row done I measured the required length needed for the second row, which turned out to be about two inches. I cut the needed sheets to length and started the second row again at the left side but first cut a sheet lengthwise so I could have a starter sheet for that row 1/2 the width as normal. I glued this sheet on the far left with just a little overlapping the sheet below it. The next sheet was normal length and followed the same rules as done for the first row. The purpose of the starter sheet is to produce a 'stagger' with the row below. Care needed to be taken so that each sheet was about in the center of the sheet below it. When getting to the right side of the row a sheet would need its width adjusted so that the final sheet produced a flush end for the roof.However when it was all assembled I did not like the look.

I tested spray painting Matt Chalk Charcoal Black Krylon. I liked the result so after masking all that needed it I did two very light coats. I like the final look. Some weathering will be needed but that can wait.

Jim Donovan

So we are caught up with progress. I have a final design I am happy with and the hard part finished so here are a couple of photos showing where the Pump House will go on the layout.

Thanks

Jim