Barlow's Bar B Que build

Started by Zephyrus52246, March 27, 2021, 06:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

I'd mentioned to Karl at the end of the Bernard's Tractor build that I considered this kit for the same spot on the layout.  I think it will be a little to big for the spot, but let's build it anyway and see.  I probably won't be able to finish this by April 15, so won't include it in the challenge.  Here's the kit. I wonder if he's using the bags as they are cheaper, or maybe it's an issue of not feeling constrained by the box dimensions for packing. Anyway, time to open it up.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I'm not sure how a kit with three separate buildings qualifies as a "Quick Kit", but here's the stuff.  Walls, rolled and standing seam roofing.  Stripwood. Some corrugated metal for the middle building.  Plastic windows/doors.  Sheet of signs, always a highlight of Doug's kits.  Instructions and template sheet. Some plastic window material.  White metal details.  And a cute plastic pig. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The laser cut walls are put through the tru sander to just get the burn edges off.  The laser cuts at a slight angle, and this will square them up.  They are then braced.  While glue dries, do another wall.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Here are all the walls that need their backsides painted.  I do this to help prevent warping when the paint/stain goes on the front and so there's only darkness visible thru the windows.  I'll add view blocks as well.  My black spray paint finally crapped out (see the vehicle thread), so I used the dark brown Krylon Camo paint.  It won't make any difference.  Here they are before and after.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I tried Hunter line Barn red for the sides.  I did a raw siding piece and one that had two coats of light grey put on first (on scrap).  The pic isn't very good, but I like the way the grey/red looks (bottom piece), so that's the plan.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

All the plastic windows and doors were removed from their sprues with sprue cutters, any nubs filed off, given a bath in detergent and left out to dry.  They'll be attached to some tape for painting with the airbrush, probably an off white.  I think the airbrush still has issues from my trying to paint the train car wheels, so I think it'll be cleaned thoroughly first.   ::)

Jeff

GPdemayo

Another build start Jeff.....you're putting some of us slow pokes to shame. I'll be looking in on this one also.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Great to see you working on this one.  I built this a long, long time ago and my version is on the A&S.  As I recall I didn't have any issues with the build.  It's a really neat kit but, as you surmised, it's really not that little.  Still, you should have a blast with it.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

tom.boyd.125

Jeff,
The train crews on the Belt RR of Chicago had their BBQ at the Branding Iron ( now gone ) and The Patio...in Texas...the Frisco crews stopped at Hutchins BBQ...those were the best we had !
Now the crews of the Q will have Barlow's BBQ soon...know it will be another award winning location for great food. Please forward some of your energy too .
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for looking in, guys.  Restarted this yesterday as well.  Stained the walls with the red.  They were too pristine, though there is a spot or two where the siding wood must have gone through a growth ring, so the stain took up differently and it looks odd.  Used some grey to break up the monotone, but the usual sponge technique looked to spotty on the flat siding, so I "dry sponged" lengthwise and in a few pieces vertically.  Very subtle, it really doesn't show in the pic.  The left wall is not dry sponged, but the other two are. You can see how the stain took up weirdly.  I might cover this with a billboard.  Or a big bush.  :)   While doing this I noticed the red staining caused major warpage, including pulling some of the braces off at the edges.  So I'm now basically rebracing most of the walls.   ::)

Jeff

deemery

Jeff, I've seen that problem on siding sheets, too.  I suspect a coat of shellac as the starting point would have helped, but that's "water under the bridge" now.  Streaking some thinned craft barn red craft paint might be the best solution, so you're laying down pigment rather than just a stain. 

Another option might be to apply a light-medium thin coat of grey paint (weathered wood color), and then some red on top of that.  Just some thoughts... 

I always try to weigh down siding sheets after I paint or stain them.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

I can't say as I've ever had that happen to me. Billboard sounds like A good idea to me.

Karl

WigWag Workshop

I will be following along on this build Jeff. I have this kit on my future build list, and I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ACL1504

Jeff,

This is one of my favorites from FOS. Reading Bob built this one for the A&S RR.

I'll be following along as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, for following, gentlemen.  I work 5 of the next 6 days, so not much progress will be made.  Dave, how do you weigh them down?  I worry that the stain and/or paint might not dry correctly if something is sitting on it.  Or it might get stuck. 

Jeff