Micro-Scale Models Two Stall Engine House

Started by MartyO, April 01, 2021, 02:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyO

Hi folks,

I am finally starting the Engine Shed (Engine House) after buying it used a couple FineScale Expos ago. (Hmm, the good old days.)

The kit is a plaster based kit that came with lots of parts and instructions. The kit was fit produced in 1993 so its building technique are a bit dated. As I usually do is modify the kit to todays standards and give it that bit of extra kick to make it shine. This thread will take you through the highlights of the journey avoiding all the mundane work. It is going to be fun.

Marty

GPdemayo

Good looking engine house Marty.....I'll be looking in on this one.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Micro-Scale kits have a pretty good reputation, it'll be fun to see how this comes along.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ReadingBob

I'm on board for this one too Marty.  Looking forward to it.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Marty:

I shall be watching. I know the manufacturer very well.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Marty,
Will follow along on your engine house build.
Several kits we ordered from Don Reed a while back from his website...and when the box was received he added a large package of free shingles !
Great customer service...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

MartyO

Morning,

I spent a bit of time looking for other examples of the two stall engine house and did not find any to compare mine to. So I think I will be going just from the instructions (below) an my imagination of how it would look on my diorama.

Marty
Marty

nycjeff

Hey Marty, I love small engine houses and am looking forward to how yours turns out.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

MartyO

Hi all.

Here is my first pass at colouring the side walls of the Engine House. I am going for the "sandstone" look of the structure just to be a bit different on the diorama. The normal greys, browns and reds tend to get over used.

The colours are the Ochre tones of colours to give the brickwork a "orangish" tone. The foundation wall is coloured more with the dark brown and India ink washes. I suspect the colours will drift over time as I work on the gable end walls.

Marty

GPdemayo

Excellent choice for the brick color Marty..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Marty:

Your first wall looks great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

ACL1504

Marty,

I like the color for the wall. I'll be watching this one come together.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

MartyO

Thanks guys for the comments.

It took a while for me to get used to the colour and I like it.

As you or may not know me by now; I have this urge to do the interiors of structures and add lighting to add to the realism of the scene. This Engine House kit assumed there would not be an interior, except a couple small details. The interior of the wall are just flat plaster (a result of the casting process) without any detailing. So I took on the effort of carving the foundation rocks and the block walls with sandstone size blocks.

I first scored in the wall blocks and then started with the foundation rocks ...

I first sketched the rocks with a pencil and used various tools to carve the rocks.
Marty

MartyO

You can see from the photo that the upper wall is not carved and is quite bland while the bottom wall has some interest.

In the first photo the closeup gives a better view of how it turned out.

I think the windows will be next on the agenda.

Bye for now
Marty

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond