Clearfield Cheese Clinton Mo

Started by Oldguy, April 01, 2021, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

All my past builds have been, more or less, have been for the railroad, in order of appearance and placement.  The mid-point of the railroad is Clinton Mo.  The Frisco depot is located off a dead end spur, along with Clearfield Cheese Company processing plant.

I have access to old Sanborn Maps which told me dimensions and construction, but not much more.  The most current one was from 1918.  From it I know height and construction. 

Then, someone ran across Vintage Aerials.  And eureka, it had a photo of the plant.  And it had a barrel roof with a clerestory to boot.  Even though the photo was from 1988. it contained a wealth of knowledge.   On a regular basis, I conducted a internet search for Clearfield Cheese Clinton Missouri and never got much back.  Early on, I got a sales ad for a patch, which will be used for signage, but mainly bupkis.  Then, from another search, resulted in an undated photo for the Clinton Daily Democrat (local paper) showing the back side.  Someone may be able to get an about date fro the vehicles. 

So, now armed with enough information, I can start the scratch building of this industry.  Granted it has to be shortened and pares way down, but I can capture the flavor.  First up, the production building.

I don't do CAD, so it was old fashion ruler and pencil.  I found that a 10" roof radius look decent for the barrel roof.  I have a Monster Model Model Works Clerestory roof kit, so that will fix the length.  I'll use Tichy masonry windows and doors.  The middle of last month I ordered the windows and doors from a shop in Illlinois and they haven't even mailed them yet.  So, I did a order direct with Tichy this morning and they already have been sent out. 

I'm using Monster Model Works concrete block sheet.  I was nervous in cutting the 1/8" thick material, but the trammel that I'm using has a cutting point and it easily marked the radii so that the final cut could be made with a new X-Acto blade.  I felt that I needed to have some internal bulkheads, so I made these from 3/16" foam core board.  I replaced the cutting blade with the pencil, and used an X-Acto saw to cut the curve.  It was surprisingly quick.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

Bob - Very impressive sir!  Both the research, the planning and the execution.  I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this one.  Thank you for sharing!   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

Nice job on the research.  Interesting looking structure.  I'd guess the picture is from early 40s, the car on the right edge looks the newest in the group.  Probably Mr. Clearfield's.   :)

Jeff

GPdemayo

Looks like it will tun out to be a nice addition to the layout.....I'll be looking in.  :)  Interesting about the depot being on a dead in spur.....the station I took the Frisco from in Columbia was also a dead end spur.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Keep It Rusty

Awesome beginnings here, Bob. Looking forward to where this is going.

Oldguy

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 02, 2021, 08:59:28 AM
Looks like it will tun out to be a nice addition to the layout.....I'll be looking in.  :)  Interesting about the depot being on a dead in spur.....the station I took the Frisco from in Columbia was also a dead end spur.
Clinton Missouri, at one time was known as the chick capitol of the world.  Yeah, a bit over the top.  But, the Frisco converted a bunch of head-end cars to haul baby chickens out of Clinton and across the country.  So, at one time there were E8's actually doing some serious switching.  They had to pull into the the depot, drop off passengers, back out to the main, get clearance from the Katy to cross their main, and then head into the yard.  While there it would drop off whatever cars it had, get spun around on the turntable, hook back up to the cars, get clearance to cross the Katy, back down the spur, set out the passenger car(s), go get the waitng chick cars from the house track, hook them up to the passenger cars, go back to the house track to drop off the empty chick cars, back onto the depot track, hook up to the consist and head back north.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Bob, Jeff, Greg, and Craig, I hope this will work out.  It has been ages since I done anything like this.  I have a new appreciation for the kit makers who produce kits from actual structures.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

S&S RR

Bob

Great research work, and a very cool project.  I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

nycjeff

Hello Bob, I'll be really interested in how the barrel roof comes out. I don't recall another build with a roof like that. Looking forward to your techniques.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

GPdemayo

Hey Bob.....didn't know about Clinton and chicks. Missouri is a very interesting place and has had a wide variety of industry in the past, beyond the agricultural industry.

When I was a kid, my grandpa took me for drives around the Salem area and showed me a lot of neat stuff that existed over 100 years ago, like caverns, brick works, lumber mills and iron mines. Great adventures for a small boy. 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

Looks like you have it well in hand!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Old Guy:

I shall be following along.

Karl

ACL1504

Hey,

I'm in the bleachers as well on this one.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Glad to have the followers.  So today, the windows I ordered the first part of March arrived.  Four packs in a box the size of a half loaf of bread. Wow.
In the mean time, I needed to work on the clerestory.  Technically, it is a monitor roof, but it doesn't say that on the package.  Went together fairly easily and then had a laser board (?) roof deck.  Also included are some small bits for roof vents.  Though these look a bit anemic and flat.  So I rummaged around in my wood bit scrap bin and found some usable bits.  When glued on and the kit supplied top added, it seems to work.
I decided to use some other material for the back side that won't be seen directly.  I added some transfer tape to 3/16" foam core and laminated a piece of JTT plastic concrete block material.  Although it shows HO scale they say 1/100 scale.  It'll work for brick I suppose somewhere else. But good enough for my use.  So I gave it a spritz of gray primer.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond