Memories of Wonderful Companions & Family

Started by GPdemayo, April 07, 2021, 08:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Yesterday was a very sad day for Pegi and I with the loss of the four legged members of our family after 15-1/2 years of wonderful companionship.

They were cairn terrier sisters from the same litter and have spent their entire lives with each other and with us since they were 8 weeks old. They were really close and were a joy to be around and observe thru the years. As terriers, we nicknamed them the "Hooligan Sisters" as they were always getting into mischief and having a great time with each other and us.

I know this is not a loss on the scale of what Curt and John are going thru, but it is not an easy process to go thru. All the little critters that we have in our lives are truly a member of the family and as such, not having them around is quite a jolt in our lives.

Treas developed health problems last year, but it was held in check with medicines. Aidan joined her in a slow decline a few months ago and prompted the hard decision Pegi and I had to make a couple of weeks ago. Do we continue to keep them alive for our sake or let them go to a happier place where they can be as happy as when they were younger.

We have gone thru this type of loss before, but it doesn't get any easier. Unlike our other dogs, which were taken unexpectedly, we sadly watched as they declined to a point that it would be wrong, cruel and thoughtless of us to allow them to continue to struggle everyday.

Like all pets, they worm their way into your heart and make this an extremely difficult time. We will heal with time and a conscious effort to remember all the happy times we spent together, but that does not make the present any less difficult.

Those of you with dogs and other pets, give them a hug and a treat and take a moment to reflect on all the joy and happiness they add to our lives and thank whatever higher power you believe in that he has let them come into our lives and given us such boundless joy and unconditional love.

Below is a picture of The Girls on their 1st birthday.....Aidan is on the left and Treas is on the right.

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Dennis Bourey

So sorry to here that Greg, I had to put our 18 1/2 year old dash hound down. She was the best. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Greg and Pegi

Sorry for your loss. They will live on in your memories.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

What John said!...  Sorry you lost them both.  I hope you get replacements.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Greg& peg I:

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have been there many's time in my life. It's very difficult to lose them . My thought are with you. Go and get two more doggies and enjoy them also.

Karl

Keep It Rusty

My heart aches, Greg. It really does. Euthanizing pets is one of the hardest decisions to make and follow through.

So, so sorry to hear of your loss.

A friend designed the image attached to commemorate his cat's passing. It cuts me down every time I look at it, but warms me in a way that's hard to describe.

tom.boyd.125

Gregory,
Losing such an important part of your family is never easy.
I know your house will seem empty without those two pals.
May fond memories of your beloved pets warm your heart always.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ReadingBob

Sorry to hear the sad news.   :'(

You gave them a wonderful home and life.  They'll live on in your memory.   
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Oldguy

Oh man that utterly sucks.  We had to do the same to our Cairn.  Miss Kelsey was a brindle (think Toto) and made it to 17.  That one hurt so much that I am done with pets.  I'll just keep the wife around.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ACL1504

Greg and Pegi,

I'm very saddened to hear it came to pass. We had a few discussions on this decision over the past year or so. Although the decision was difficult, it was the right thing to do.

Pam and I have been through it and it is extremely difficult. So, ya'll aren't alone.

You gave the girls a great home and life full of love.

Tom and Pam
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

madharry

Greg and Pegi,
I am saddened to hear of the loss of your dear pets. I am sure they are in a better place now with their suffering at an end.

I hope you consider acquiring a new pet or two soon.
Mike

Zephyrus52246

So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved terriers.  I know how difficult it was when we made the same decision years ago with our cocker spaniel.  Tougher to lose them both.  Remember the good times.

Jeff

nycjeff

Hello Greg, sorry for the loss of your puppies. One of the worst things about having pets is that they do not have as long a life span as we would like. My wife and I have had to go through what you are presently going through many times in the 40 plus years we have been together. We always get "free to a good home " dogs and they are usually not very young when we get them. It hurts a great deal to lose a member of the family and that's what our dogs are, but after about 6 months we miss the companionship and affection that dogs give us and we get another one. I hope that you and your wife can do the same.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

BandOGuy

I've had three terrific dogs in my life. My wife has the same count and we shared the Golden From Hell together. Your sad news reached me while we're sitting our grand dog and resisting enormous pressure from our daughter to do a rescue for a friend of hers. Would be easier to say no if wasn't part black lab.
Cherish the memories while you can and remember, there are a lot of great dogs out there waiting for welcoming homes when the time is right.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.