Farm outbuildings

Started by nycjeff, April 11, 2021, 01:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

As I'm going around my layout with my layout tour I have been doing some small upgrades in areas that I had done many years ago. One of these areas is a farm scene along the upper level shelf. I decided to replace a couple of the plastic farm outbuildings from a Bachmann kit with scratch-built wood structures. Here are two of them...

First is a small hay barn. As always I drew out a template for the walls. I used 1/16 square strip-wood for the framing and 2x8 boards for the siding. I aged the siding boards by cutting them at the corners and in the middle.

Here are the completed walls. I next sprayed them with a rattle can tan color for a primer base and then I dry brushed them with a craft paint barn red color.

Here the walls have been assembled and a roof card cut out from the cardboard from the back of a yellow legal pad. I really liked the roofing job that Steve Custer did on one of his recent builds with gift wrap tissue paper, so I thought I would give it a try. I used some black tissue paper and distressed the edges with my Exacto knife and then glued the 3/8 wide strips with full strength wood glue. As you can see I cut a ragged hole in the roof card and then glued some 2x6 strip-wood below the hole for exposed roof joists. I was pleased with how this came out

Another view of the assembled walls and the roof.

A closer look at the roof. For a detailed tutorial on how to do the tissue paper roll-roofing look at Steve Custer's FSM Branchline Bucket Coaling Station build thread in the Kit Building area of the forum, he does a great job explaining the process.

I finished my hay barn by cutting a piece of foam to a good hay pile shape, spread wood glue on the foam and then sprinkled some sawdust on the glue for the hay. This little structure is a big upgrade from the plastic that I had. More in a minute.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

The next farm outbuilding that I replaced was the chicken coop. I was inspired by the great job that John Siekirk did on his highly detailed farm scene on his Superior and Seattle Railroad Build thread. If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, then I humbly bow to a master modeler and blatantly attempt to copy his work, though I'm sure my chicken coop is not as good as John's. So here we go...

Again, I drew out a template for the walls. I again used 1/16 square strip-wood for the framing.

Here two of the walls have been glued together. You can see the other wall and the roof in the picture. I used some leftover material from a Walthers chain link fence kit for the chicken wire on the walls. It doesn't show up very well in the pictures. I used full strength wood glue to attach the "wire" to the framing.

Another view of the first two walls attached to the coop building. I used the plastic coop building from the Bachmann kit, I figured that the wire coop area would draw all of the attention here.

The walls have been glued and the roof attached. The door frame is some 2x4 strip-wood pieces glued on the assembled wall.

Another view of the assembled structure

A top down look at the coop. I used the same black tissue paper for the roof as on my hay barn. This was a fun little scratch-build of two farm outbuildings. I have to admit that when I saw the great job John did on his farm scene, that I had to improve mine. Thanks, John. I will have some pictures of these two structures placed on the layout as I get to that area on my layout tour. That's it for now more later

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Mark Dalrymple

Nice job on the replacement buildings, Jeff.

I particularly like the destressed cladding.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Looks like A chicken coop to me. Great job.

Karl

S&S RR

Jeff

Very nice work. I have one suggestion. Get out the A&I and give the frame work for the fence on the chicken coop another coat.  I had to hit mine with three coats to get it dark enough, once it was on the layout.  I use my camera as my guide as I fine tune the details, especially once the project is in place on the layout under the layout lighting. Fantastic modeling!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Great job Jeff.....now all you have to do is add the aroma and you'll have it nailed.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on April 11, 2021, 02:53:23 PM
Nice job on the replacement buildings, Jeff.

I particularly like the destressed cladding.

Cheers, Mark.

Hello Mark, thank you, I had fun making the siding boards.

Quote from: postalkarl on April 11, 2021, 05:38:44 PM
Hey Jeff:

Looks like A chicken coop to me. Great job.

Karl

Hey Karl, I liked John's coop so much I just had to have one for myself. He did a great job.

Quote from: S&S RR on April 12, 2021, 09:50:32 AM
Jeff

Very nice work. I have one suggestion. Get out the A&I and give the frame work for the fence on the chicken coop another coat.  I had to hit mine with three coats to get it dark enough, once it was on the layout.  I use my camera as my guide as I fine tune the details, especially once the project is in place on the layout under the layout lighting. Fantastic modeling!

John, thanks so much for the kind words and the suggestion. I used some weathering chalks to age the coop framing after one coat of AI solution.

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 13, 2021, 08:46:37 AM
Great job Jeff.....now all you have to do is add the aroma and you'll have it nailed.  ;D

Hello Greg, I don't have the desire for chicken coop aroma effects. I know from experience they do not smell all that good. Thanks for looking in.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Can't wait to see it with the chickens in it.

Karl

nycjeff

After rebuilding the hay shed and the chicken coop, the next farm building to be replaced was the barn. I decided to build a barn under construction. So, here we go...

I looked up timber frame barns under construction on the web and got many pictures. I chose this one as something I felt that I could model, with a few differences.

As always with my scratch-builds, the first step is to draw a scale template to work from. I feel that this is a must and it makes the build much easier.

Here I've started the wall construction from the front/ back and side wall templates. I'm using 1/8 square strip-wood for the timber framing and full strength wood glue for the joints. Taping pieces to the templates prevents them from moving when you are assembling many small pieces. As you can see I used 2x10 strip-wood for the bottom and sides of the walls. I didn't want pieces hanging loosely and breaking, so the 2x10's firmed up the wall assemblies and you can hardly see them when the walls are assembled. As far as the bottom pieces, I'm going with the idea that they are the bottom plate for the wall.

Here is the front wall. I first used 2x8 for the angle braces, but wasn't happy with how they looked. I then changed them to the same 1/8 square wood and liked that much better.

I got caught up in the barn building and forgot to take pictures. The walls have been assembled and I have placed the assembly on a thin piece of styrene that I painted light grey and weathered. I scribed some expansion joint lines in the concrete floor at 10 foot square sections. The roof framing is partly done and the next pieces are waiting for completion. The wall cladding has been started at the rear corner.

Another view, you can see the roof has been started, some wood scraps are on the floor and a stack of wall cladding is waiting for the workers. The stacked lumber is from Atlas. More in a minute
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

EricQuebec

nycjeff

Continuing on...

A better view of the partially done roof. I cut a roof card from the cardboard at the back of a yellow legal pad and then used some 3/8 inch wide painted paper for roll-roofing. You can see the temporary bracing for the roof timbers to hold them in place until final assembly has been done. The ladder is plastic and came from my stash- I forget which kit it came from.

Another view looking through the barn. You can see two long pieces of timber framing on the floor.

Looking down into the barn. I built some wood scaffolding and placed it inside the framing, but didn't like it, because it was not visible enough. You can see some wood pieces laying on the top deck for workers to move around on, this was before OSHA, so safety was not a huge priority.

Speaking of the wood scaffolding, I again looked up wood scaffolding on the web and printed out something I could work with

Using the above picture as a guide, I built a section of wood scaffolding using 1/16 square strip-wood for the frame and 2x4 strip-wood for the cross bracing. I slightly weathered it so that it would stand out from the new construction wood framing. Final details will be placed when the barn is on the layout and some final pictures will be shown then. That's it for now, more later
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Quote from: EricQuebec on April 20, 2021, 05:08:17 PM
Very nice building
Eric

Eric, thanks for looking in, I enjoyed this scratch-build.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

GPdemayo

Love the post & beam construction on the barn Jeff.....looking good.  8)  You're right about the chicken coop stink, my granddad had one and I hated to have to go near that area of the farm when I was a kid.  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Hello Greg, thanks for checking in, you're right, the smell of a chicken coop is something you don't forget.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

postalkarl

Jeff:

Barn look beautiful so far.

Karl