FOS Marshall's Boat and Gas

Started by ReadingBob, April 29, 2021, 03:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Using an emery board I gently sand the ends of the tubing to make sure they're open and clean.

Then I feed the two lead wires I've already soldered to a very teeny, tiny LED.  If the wire gives me any trouble going through the tube I may find myself running the finest drill bit I have through the tubing to make sure there's nothing inside blocking the wires.

I prep a Tichy lampshade.  Primed and the side the reflective side has been painted white.

Then I slide over the lampshade.  I need to do this before forming the goose neck in the tubing.

Here's the hardest part.  Forming the tubing.  You might think something like this Kadee bender thing would work for this but it's not nearly as simple as that.  If you do what I'm showing the tubing will kink, pinch the wires inside and likely break them.  Ask me how I know.   ::)

You end up with something like what I've drawn here  with several pinch points.  Tubing does not like to be bent.

More in a moment.... :P
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Finally I successfully bent the tubing so it's time for a test.  It works!  8)

A little dab of 5 minute epoxy holds the lampshade and led in place.

Then a little Tamiya Clear Yellow is painted over the LED to give it nice warm glow instead of a bright white.

I drill a hole where I want the goose neck lamp to go then feed the wires and the tubing through the hole.

Now it's time to add put the rest of the circuit.  For this structure I had three LED's (counting the goose neck) and one current limiter.  I start by adding a little flux to the legs of the LED's so I can tin them with some solder.

Adding the solder.  This simply makes the final connections easier to make.

More in a moment..... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I used a little scrap of photo mounting board to hold the LED.  Some copper tape was laid out on it and then holes drilled through it to mount the current limiter, LED's and wires.  Here I'm bending the leg of one of the LED's so I can solder it to the copper tape.  Sorry, my big fingers are in the way but you can see from the picture afterwards what I mean.

I trim the legs shorter.  Just leaving enough to solder to the tape.

After I solder the legs in place I then 'gap' the copper tape between the legs else the LED won't light.  This is especially important for the current limiter.  Forget to do it there and all the LED's will light very brightly for a very brief moment as you fry them.   :P

After installing the light in this building I did end up gluing the roof in place because of the rafter tails.  But only with a very tiny amount of glue.

Gee...I have all this space in the main structure and only need one little LED to light it up.

So there's my circuit all lit up and working.

More in a moment.... :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Keep It Rusty

At 6ft 3, 240lbs, I'm sure glad you welcome large vessels ;)

ReadingBob

With all that extra space I think I'll add some sound effects.  This is a first for me.  It's something I picked up from Slim at the EXPO in Altoona.  Gulls in a harbor.

I decided to make a little 'box' to house the speaker.  I used the same photo mounting board and cut out a circle using a quarter as a guide.

The speaker had a self stick type deal on it so it was truly a peel and stick.

Then it was simply a matter of build the box around the speaker.

Probably not the neatest/cleanest job I could have done but it's not going to be visible.

I mounted the circuit board right on the box.

More in a moment.... :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on July 13, 2021, 04:13:04 PM
At 6ft 3, 240lbs, I'm sure glad you welcome large vessels ;)

You bet!  You're always welcome to visit!   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Here are some final photos.  Too bad you can't her the gulls.  It's an interesting little sound effect.

I didn't have the main roof seated properly for this picture either.  I noticed my light board inside interfered with the roof bracing so a little trimming of the bracing was in order to get it to sit flush.

Thanks for following along and commenting!  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Mark Dalrymple

Great little tutorial, Bob.  It looks terrific.

Don't forget to add some seagulls.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks just beautiful so far.  Love the colors you chose.

Karl

nycjeff

Hello Bob, well you've taken things to a whole other level with this build- lights and sound, Wow. Great job as usual on the build and the build thread.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

I have to completely agree with Jeff.

Karl

ACL1504

This little structure is more impressive in person. Bob brought it down a couple weeks ago, it looks fantastic as all his build do.

They sound of the seagulls really bring it to life. The Judge and I were honored to be the first to see this little gem.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Great build.  Lights and sound, too.  You keep raising the bar higher and higher.

Jeff

GPdemayo

Great job Bob.....especially like the paint on the exterior walls. Sorry to have missed hearing the sounds.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 13, 2021, 04:33:56 PM
Great little tutorial, Bob.  It looks terrific.

Don't forget to add some seagulls.

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark!  I've been on the lookout for some seagulls but haven't located any yet.  I also need to add some white paint to the places they'd most likely perch and leave their mark.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net