The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

The front has a rotating disc for different size pencils.

Not that I, Tom, would know anything about this but you can even sharpen crayons with this. However, I was told the wax from the crayons jam the cutting blades. Remember, I know nothing about that mess. :-X

Stick a pencil in this one, turn the handle and two sharp cutting blades rotate around the pencil and you get a nice sharp point on you pencil.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is proof -

The top pencil was sharpened with the plastic drum sharpener. The bottom one was sharpened with the Mack Daddy sharpener. 70 years old and still getting a great tip.

I'm just "pointing" out the difference in the "tips".

I'll have a layout update later this afternoon or evening.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bernd

Yup, have one also. probably from the 60's or 70's. It's got a suction cup to hold it down on a smooth surface. Only thing I use for pencils or the mechanical ones with the .5mm lead.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

deemery

Mine dates back to my first year at Norwich University (a military school), where we were required to label all of our belongings.  "Recruit Emery DE". (The Judge can probably relate to that...)  The label is still there, almost 47 years later....   It works the same way as Tom and Bernd sharpeners work. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: Bernd on June 18, 2021, 10:54:46 AM
Yup, have one also. probably from the 60's or 70's. It's got a suction cup to hold it down on a smooth surface. Only thing I use for pencils or the mechanical ones with the .5mm lead.

Bernd

Bernd,

I had one of those while in law enforcement. The good thing about the suction is you could take it from office to office.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on June 18, 2021, 04:35:41 PM
Mine dates back to my first year at Norwich University (a military school), where we were required to label all of our belongings.  "Recruit Emery DE". (The Judge can probably relate to that...)  The label is still there, almost 47 years later....   It works the same way as Tom and Bernd sharpeners work. 

dave

Dave,

I attended Bolles Military School (Jacksonville, FL.) in 1961. I would have stayed all four years but the military was dropped in my sophomore  year so I finished high school in public. The instructors would choose a different cadet each Friday to bang the chalk board erasers and dump the pencil sharpener. Not sure it was an honor either.  8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Remember this photo from last week?

That area was cleaned and all stuff removed to get ready for the next project.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All the track, roadbed and pink foam around the yellow ruler will be removed.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is a bird's eye view of the recent area worked on.

The building being built now for the spot in front of the water tower is FOS' Free Kit #32 - Polk's Hobby Shop.

I'll do the build thread here as it will be a quick build.

Done for today.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Nice, Tom.

The aerial photo shows the lovely flow you have created with the curving trackwork.  Very nice.

Cheers, Mark.

tct855

ACL 1504,
               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-QmBtOtd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yNhl8wT3Pc

Hey, a bad day there still beats a good day here!     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU-4bF_pks

KP-out... P.S. Nice pencil sharpener, have you seen these since yours was made? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AhMeBxhs4

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on June 18, 2021, 09:02:44 PM
Nice, Tom.

The aerial photo shows the lovely flow you have created with the curving trackwork.  Very nice.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

Thank you and I agree. It works very well on the narrow isle of the layout.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tct855 on June 19, 2021, 11:51:03 AM
ACL 1504,
               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-QmBtOtd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yNhl8wT3Pc

Hey, a bad day there still beats a good day here!     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU-4bF_pks

KP-out... P.S. Nice pencil sharpener, have you seen these since yours was made? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AhMeBxhs4

Thom,

I agree in that a bad day here sure beats a good day out side the layout. Unless, its with a family member.

Some of those other pencil sharpeners are almost "X" rated.  :-X

Appreciate you stopping by.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Judge

Your attention is drawn to the photograph Tom posted above showing the area from the Tahope River Bridge north to the edge of the photograph.  You will note that the brand new, and expensive, bridge connects to a paved road that travels a modest distance to what appears to be a small freight depot with a passenger car siding (you can see the black roof of the heavyweight Pullman spotted in place.)

Why, you may ask, would the City of TAhope pay for an expensive bridge and a paved road to connect to a small freight depot?  The answer should be obvious to anyone with knowledge of Tahope politics.  The only highway construction company in Tahope County is owned by Jake Stonecypher, who is a member of the city council.  The Pullman is leased by the Atlantic & Southern Railroad for the exclusive use of city big wigs and their guests for poker games on Friday nights and for excursions to Gainesville to watch University of Florida football games in the fall.

A disappointing consequence of the recently proposed track realignment project has been the demolition of the Trackside Tavern.  But not to worry, the owner of the establishment, Bruce Bonebreaker, made out like a bandit in the condemnation trial when the jury awarded $15,000 for the value of the property, $10,000 for the value of the building, and $1,000,000 for loss of revenue.  It is rumored that one of the tavern's "entertainers," Maggie Hussy, entertained the foreman of the jury when the jury viewed the premises.  Doubtless, the tavern will be relocated elsewhere in the future.  Meanwhile, Butts' Bar-B-Que will take up the slack.  Please refer to past editions of the Saturday Report for more information on this subject.

ACL1504

This is the Pullman Solarium Heavyweight the Judge mentioned.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com