The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 22, 2021, 08:52:42 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 20, 2021, 08:29:13 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on July 18, 2021, 08:09:02 AM
Good progress Tom.....to me, that first Merchant's Row kit has a real old Florida small town look to it.  8)

Greg,

I like it for Tahope as well. The other two have the look of a Summit Level build.

Tom ;D

I thing you might be right..... :)

Greg,

The Summit Level will take these other two perfectly.

Tom  ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on July 22, 2021, 10:22:29 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 22, 2021, 08:31:21 AM
...I have about 300+ other unopened bottles I purchased when the announcement was made that Floquil would stop production of the paint.

Tom  ;D 
How many of those are bottles of Holy Driftwood?   ;D

dave

Dave,

I only have five left.  :'(

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

I have one unopened bottle, mostly kept intact so I can check other things against the color Holy Driftwood has a slightly green/olive tint to it.  (I donated another bottle for a raffle at one of the Craftsman Structure Shows....)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on July 22, 2021, 11:35:08 AM
I have one unopened bottle, mostly kept intact so I can check other things against the color Holy Driftwood has a slightly green/olive tint to it.  (I donated another bottle for a raffle at one of the Craftsman Structure Shows....)

dave

Dave,

I gave one to Reading Bob, sold three on Ebay for $36.00 each and plan on keeping the last five.   :P

Tom  ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I finally finished the slab work for the Tahope buildings.

I marked the entire surface with a grid. The squares are 7.5 HO scale feet. I started to mark off 8 HO scale feet but that looked to big. A check with the outside mall down the street found the expansion joints on 15 feet between the joints. The side walk in front of the house is 4.5 sq. ft. and probably set to ADA standards.

A check of some sidewalks in front of older stores here has anywhere from 6 to 9 sq. feet between joints.

So, I'm okay with my 7.5 HO scale feet between the joints.

I have another reason for the 7.5 HO scale feet, it is the width of my HO scale ruler.  8)

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The ruler made it very easy to draw the grid.

Including the 4" sidewalk curb, the distance from the outside of the curb is 7' 9" to the front of the building.

On the west side of main Street is an odd shaped corner. I placed a Bar Mills kit in the spot and it fits rather nicely. This is a structure Eric Quebec made for the Atlantic and Southern in exchange for a FSM kit Eric wanted.

The kit is a bakery with a small three story apartment on the side.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The Bakery is mainly a narrow flat. However, Eric did a fantastic job with a tissue painting on the rear wall. The rear wall needs to be able to be seen from the isle.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

A modeling friend, Dave Barron, built this kit and placed the bakery on the right side.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I turned my attention to the Magnuson Municipal Building. It comes with a thick and out of scale sidewalk for the front and side. Since I'm not using the Magnuson sidewalk, I needed to either cut off the bottom or fill it in. I opted to make to look like the building has a poured slab between the columns.

I used two HO scale 12 X 12 lumber and glued it to the bottom to fill in the gap.

I used a pencil to mark the angle for the cut.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I only needed to do this on two sides and the angled front door area. Fast forward and the job is finished.

I used rattle can Rust-oleum Auto Primer Gray and sprayed the added bottom as shown below. I used the same paint on the building.

I'll add more to the front angled sidewalk after I get it painted and lighted. Otherwise, I'll just break it off.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is one possible location for the Magnuson Merchants Row I.

Done for this fine day.

;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

Lovely work, Tom. You sure have been busy with the layout!

Mark Dalrymple

Hi Tom.

This is looking really good.  I like that Magnuson municipal building - I might have to get one of those.  Scale Structures sent me a $20 voucher with my replacement wall so...  Your fix on the foundation looks good, too.  I like the two Magnuson structures side by side.  I might have expected the dimensions of the Municipal building to overpower the block of shops - but it doesn't - they work well together.  Eric has made a lovely job of that kit.  I love the whole back wall being a huge sign.  Great work.

Cheers, Mark.

NKP768

Really looks good Tom - always liked the looks of the Bar Mills tenement kit - I think its a knock off of the old Smallshaw build in MR and later kitted by North Eastern.

Doug

GPdemayo

I bet Bill is getting excited......he'll soon have a court room to preside over. Did you leave a spot for the General Lee statue in the revised plan of downtown?  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL