The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on July 22, 2021, 09:28:46 PM
Lovely work, Tom. You sure have been busy with the layout!

Craig,

Thank you. Yes, I've been busy but still behind on the thread update.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 23, 2021, 02:36:46 AM
Hi Tom.

This is looking really good.  I like that Magnuson municipal building - I might have to get one of those.  Scale Structures sent me a $20 voucher with my replacement wall so...  Your fix on the foundation looks good, too.  I like the two Magnuson structures side by side.  I might have expected the dimensions of the Municipal building to overpower the block of shops - but it doesn't - they work well together.  Eric has made a lovely job of that kit.  I love the whole back wall being a huge sign.  Great work.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

As a stand alone structure, the municipal building appears overly large. However, when compared to the merchants row it looked more normal. It surprised me when MR1 was placed next to it. Eric, did do a fantastic job on the structure and especially the rear wall painted sign.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on July 23, 2021, 11:10:35 AM
Really looks good Tom - always liked the looks of the Bar Mills tenement kit - I think its a knock off of the old Smallshaw build in MR and later kitted by North Eastern.

Doug

Doug,

Many of the Bar Mills kits are excellent. In earlier Bar Mills kits, I always thought the railing were out of scale. The railing are much better on the newer kits.

I agree, this does appear to be a small sister type to the Smallshaw tenement kits. I have the NE kit and it does look very similar.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 23, 2021, 05:01:21 PM
I bet Bill is getting excited......he'll soon have a court room to preside over. Did you leave a spot for the General Lee statue in the revised plan of downtown?  ;)

Greg,

The Judge will have a court room in the municipal building in the City of Tahope and a small Judge's Quarters for the county.

I do have a spot for General R. E. Lee and a flag pole for the American and Confederate flag.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used blue painter's tape to tape off the surface of the brick street. I then used Elmer's white glue to seal the cardboard. I painted the white glue on using a 1" brush.

It only took a few hours for the white glue to thoroughly dry.

NOTE: If you use Elmer's white glue to seal any cardboard, be sure you use an oil base paint to color the concrete. Elmer's is a water base glue and Acrylics are also water based. If you use a water base concrete color, it will soften the white glue and cause problems you don't want to deal with.

Trust me, I know.

When the glue dries, it will be to a shiny finish.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Blue tape removed. When painted with Floquil Concrete, the surface will be flat.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Wow, Tom you have been on a roll while I was away. Great progress, it all looks great.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Tom this is really moving along.  Going to be one great scene for sure!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jrmueller

Things are moving swiftly in the downtown!  I always enjoy seeing how you attack various problems. Hope the guys had a good Saturday get together. Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on July 25, 2021, 08:34:19 AM
Wow, Tom you have been on a roll while I was away. Great progress, it all looks great.

John,

Yea, I've been trying to keep some steam up. I still have some Covid-19 issues related to "getting tired" easily. So far, I've been fairly successful in working through the tiredness.

Thank you for the support my friend and nice words of encouragement.

Tom   ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on July 25, 2021, 08:59:14 AM
Tom this is really moving along.  Going to be one great scene for sure!

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to all that will go into this area. Lots and lots of details.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jrmueller on July 25, 2021, 11:08:21 AM
Things are moving swiftly in the downtown!  I always enjoy seeing how you attack various problems. Hope the guys had a good Saturday get together. Jim

Jim,

Good to see you. Coming up with solutions to problems usually works for me one way or the other. Most of the times they come to me as I'm falling asleep. 8)

We had a grand ole time Saturday. Thanks for stopping by.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used an awl to scribe the joints in the concrete base. I noticed that the glue caused the edges of the curb to be a little sharp.

To soften this look and get a gentle rounded curve on the curb edge, I used a heavy duty sanding board to sand the outer edge.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Much better now.

After using painters tape to protect the street from paint, I painted the first square and a half or so with Floquil concrete.

The paint really brings out the joints in the side walks.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Viewing my posted photos also give me an idea of areas that need fixing. An example here is the missing ballast. Not next to the road as I haven't done that yet but the ballast to the right of the street.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com