Laser-Art Structures DuBois Store

Started by Oldguy, June 09, 2021, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Quote from: deemery on August 12, 2021, 11:15:11 AM
This works well for setting the parallel lines for shingles:  https://incra.com/measuring_marking-trules.html

Another option is to draw them on the computer, glue the paper with the alignment lines to the roof stock, and then lay shingles on the paper.

dave
Both good options.  I just use my old gluing jig (it has a true 90 degree corner) and a set of ancient 30/60/90 triangles. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: deemery on August 12, 2021, 11:15:11 AM
This works well for setting the parallel lines for shingles:  https://incra.com/measuring_marking-trules.html
SNIP

I ordered a 6" and a 12" ruler on the 12th from Rockler and received them today!  These look really, really good.
Thanks Dave for the suggestion.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Now that each roof peak has been prepped, time for making the cap or ridge shingles.  On each sheet of shingles there is a length of material the same width of a shingle.  But there will be a bunch of scraps that can be cut and used for the ridge shingles as well.  Note the one shown next to a shingle.  The remaining pieces get sliced to width.  Not perfect, but usable.  To aid in bending, I find the middle and, using a pencil, draw a line down the middle of the strip.  This put in a crease. These then get cut the same depth as the shingle.  Use a chopper with a new blade.

It took a couple of work sessions, but all the shingles have been added. 

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

deemery

Quote from: Oldguy on August 16, 2021, 09:52:21 PM
I ordered a 6" and a 12" ruler on the 12th from Rockler and received them today!  These look really, really good.
Thanks Dave for the suggestion.

What I find works best is to tape the subroof so the bottom aligns with the edge of the workbench or a board.  This allows the T part of the Incra T Square to run along the bottom of the subroof without "falling off the edge."  Also, keep your pencil sharpener handy or use a small diameter leadholder (I use a 0.3 leadholder) 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

WOW!!! really beautiful.

Karl

GPdemayo

Excellent roofing work Dave.....the ridge shingles look great.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Guys, NOT MY shingles!  I just suggested how to draw the guidelines. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Oldguy

Quote from: deemery on August 18, 2021, 09:31:56 AM
Guys, NOT MY shingles!  I just suggested how to draw the guidelines. 

dave
Hee, hee. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ACL1504

Bob,

Very nicely done. I love the interior details and the roof shingles. I'll need to order some of those. They look very similar to the ones by Northeastern.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Okay, where was I.  I made two down spouts from brass rod for the front overhang.  These will get painted with black auto primer and then painted the trim color.  The front now needed a set of steps that were made from scrap plastic.

There are two sets of docks doors.  One on each side.  I decided that they each needed a wood dock and canopy.  It was a simple matter of fabricobbling bits a pieces for these. 

Then on to adding some sanitary vents and the supplied chimney.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

So here is where I am now. 

The left side has the dock and side stairs.  The kit has these tabs on both sides that need to be camouflaged with shrubbery or something.  On the rear I added a bulkhead door for access to the boiler.  And more tabs that need to be hidden.

And that is about it for this build right now.  I'm not exactly sure where this will be planted.  Meaning I have no idea if the docks are going to be accessed from a road in front or from a back alley.  So, I don't want to add any scenery to this at this time. 

I will admit that adding the lighting was a lot easier than I thought and now can't wait to lite up everything else I build.  Sad, that I jumped into this area kinda late in the game.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Beautiful detailing, Bob.  I love seeing downspouts added to structures. They add that extra bit of pizazz!
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

MAP

Looking great Bob!  The downspouts are a really nice detail.
Mark