Disassembly of a plastic building

Started by Blazeman, July 04, 2021, 09:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazeman

I'm wanting to kitbash a structure I started assembling almost 50 years ago.  It's partially done and I didn't have the insight then I have now.  I'd like to bash it with some other plastic structures.  Problem is, back then, it was glued to the base that plastic structures have.  I need to remove it from the base.

I believe I used a Testor's adhesive...the one with the brush cap.  I've cleaned off 50 years of grime.  Sure changed color. 

So, can you all think back and advise how to loosen the adhesive holding it to the base?  I know I can try to use more of the same adhesive to soften the existing bond such that the bond can be broken.   Any other ideas? 

Larry

rpdylan

I think I saw a product at Lowes or Home Depot a while back that is supposed to remove super glue,,,, don't know how it will treat the plastic though. I've had old plastic kits that were glued and the joints broke apart easily because of age,,,, have you tried to gently break it apart yet?
Bob C.

Blazeman

I've been able to pry some of it off the base with a #11 blade, a utility blade, and a putty knife.  Only get to a certain point though.  My concern is marring the plastic of course.

LB

ACL1504

Larry,

I've been very successful in cutting plastic bases away using sharp sprue cutters. I cut the sides of the base first and then cut the bottom of the base where it is glued to the lower portion of the walls.

It's a slow process but it gets the job done.

Hope this helps.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Blazeman

I've had that thought as the last resort, Tom.  If you endorse it, it should work.  That's reassuring.

Thanks.

LB

jbvb

50 years ago, cyanoacrylate wasn't widely available, so anything from Testors that worked on styrene was probably a solvent cement, which welds parts together in a way that can't be undone by other chemicals.  So you'll have to saw/cut/nip. This almost always destroys one of the two joined parts, but if one was the base, you're in luck.
James

deemery

Under at least some circumstances/some formulation, superglue doesn't hold well if it's been frozen.  So before you try anything more drastic, put the model in the freezer overnight and see if that helps.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Larry:

What Tom say to do sound like it should work for you.

Karl