The Flux Mill [Diorama]

Started by Keep It Rusty, July 13, 2021, 11:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Beautiful work, Craig.

The signage is terrific.  I love the peeling paper on the sign, and the workmanship on the back...  Just outstanding.

The printed details look great, too.

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Craig,

I'm going to be lazy here and just "Ditto" to all Mark stated.

Just fantastic work.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

Tom, Mark — thanks so much for your kind words.

I love making these. An hour or so of work for an instant reward!

More tomorrow!

Jerry

It was a perfect read.  Nice work!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Keep It Rusty

Thanks, Jerry! Looking forward to sharing more tomorrow or this weekend!

Oldguy

Yeah.  What everyone said!  Stunning.  Absolutely stunning.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Keep It Rusty

Thank you, Bob! I got a little more done last night. Rafter tails on the cards today.

NKP768

Bernd

Craig,

Just stumbled on to this thread. As Tom said "Ditto" what others have said.

I too am inspired by both John Allen and George Sellios. I've always liked John's roundhouse scene that was the front cover of the RMC magazine many years ago. I've always wanted one. Then seeing that George had one similar got the inspiration following again. Also seeing John Siekirk beautiful work on his roundhouse and locomotive works building was a real inspiration builder. I've started a project to scratch build one in plaster. Have much work to still do in designing.

I'm also working on learning Fusion 360. I have you to thank for selling me that 3D printer. This forced me to learn Fusion360. Still haven't printed with it yet. Hope to this fall.

Not able to do much modeling in the summer do to being at the summer cottage in the 1000 Islands. At present using my phone hotspot to connect to the net. Slow for sure. We do have fiber optic up here and am thinking of getting connected next year so I continue learning Fusion.

Keep up the great work. I will definitely be following along on this thread.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

GPdemayo

I can understand your frustration with autoCAD Craig. Pegi and I have been using it since the good ole' DOS days. Autodesk's DOS versions had a bit of a learning curve, but the basics were simple enough that you could get going in a reasonable period of time.

The Windows versions, however, have been a disaster since they were introduced and have gotten progressively worse with each release. The program has gotten bloated, worse than Windows, over the years and the company is a great believer in the theory that more is better when it comes to adding new and improved features. they also have a habit of making the program more complex with each release so that any employees working with the program have to be sent to their overpriced training classes.

A number of the lower level workers at the company have been real nice to work with for solving problems that develop when using the program, but the upper management of AutoDesk is the worst, greediest bunch of software developers that we have had the unhappy pleasure of working with.

Unfortunately, autoCAD is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room and companies are forced to use their program when they would have gladly used another CAD program to get their work done.

Good luck with Fusion and I look forward to see what you come up with in the future.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Keep It Rusty

Thank you both! Grateful for your comments.

Bernd, Fusion360 is a real Diamond. I'm doing all sorts with it now (for both the 3D printer and laser!) and I'm loving it. So nice to have a parametric design space.

I'm excited for when you fire up your printer!

deemery

This coming semester, I'm taking a break from geology courses and taking a "Art History" course on Roman architecture.  The project is to design a Roman building in SketchUp (consistent with Roman practices, Vitruvius' book on architecture, etc).  I'm looking forward to being forced to learn a 3D tool :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

Sounds great, Dave! I'm sure you'll have fun!

Keep It Rusty

Just a couple of small updates today.

The structure of the Mill is almost complete, but one thing I needed to finish beforehand was the smoke-stack:

The brickwork was painted using the good 'ole cheap craft paints. It was then weathered with a mix of oils and chalks. The lettering was achieved by creating a stencil with the laser. I tried a new trick, in that I laser cut blue painters tape to create an even better stencil:

Now that I'm officially moving on to scenery work, one thing I like to do first is paint all the details. For this diorama, I'm utilizing 3D prints, metal and resin castings. Here's a preview of some prints:

Once everything is painted, I'll finish the base and call it good!

ReadingBob

Hey!  That's my recliner...no...wait a minute...it's only a model.   :o  Great work!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.