FOS Rust Rock Falls -- in progress

Started by Opa George, August 01, 2021, 09:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Here is what has been keeping me busy since I've been offline.

Fos Scale Models Rust Rock Falls will define the border between the urban, old city port (Old Head) section of my layout, from the rural backwoods swamp (Ragged Edge) section.  I have the main structure, the old mill, rough-finished. That means, walls have basic weathering, windows are in, roof is on, etc, but no fine weathering or details yet.

I'm using Bragdon Enterprises wall and rock molds. The main supporting walls here are their #3 Random Stone retaining walls 6" x 12", cut down to size.  This is the front:

And here is the rear:

I need to fill in the crevices and voids with some plaster, then apply a base color before adding the sluice gate and the wing supports.  The water level will vary against the wall, with successive waterfalls, much like Doug Foscale's plan.  I have more Bragdon molds coming in the mail, so when they arrive I can start in with the rockwork.  I'll probably also try some hand-carved rocks, although I much prefer the look of the molded rock.

I'll add some updates and closer photos once I get some color on the walls.  I'll also show the area where this will fit in to the Twin Mountain landscape.

Cheers!
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looking just great. Keep the pic flowing.

Karl

craftsmankits

Someone's been busy.  Looking good.  Interesting kit, mine is on the sidelines.  Keep the pictures coming, and continued good luck with this awesome kit.

Mark

Dennis Bourey

George, That is one great looking kit sir!!! Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

George

Looking really nice - you have been busy.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Zephyrus52246

Nice work so far.  Someone's been busy.   :)

Jeff

GPdemayo

Very interesting structures and great work George.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

George,

Wonderful build, looks very well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

George very nice so far.

Keep those pictures coming.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

NKP768

tom.boyd.125

George,
Looks like you made a lot of progress on this build...
Keep the updates coming...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

sdrees

this project is coming along very nicely George!
Steve Drees
SP RR

MAP

Great progress George!  Nice weathering on the buildings.
Mark

ReadingBob

Just catching up George.  Wow.  You got a lot done while you were off line.  Maybe I should try that.   ;)

Looks great!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.