FOS Rust Rock Falls -- in progress

Started by Opa George, August 01, 2021, 09:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

The construction and finish looks great.  That overhang really bothers me from an engineering perspective, though.  I'd feel a lot more comfortable if you added wood diagonals from the end of the beams down to anchor points on the wall. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, George!

I so wanted this kit - I think my favourite to date from Fos Scale models.  Our GST laws have changed now, but at the time I worked out it would cost over $900NZ to get this kit to my doorstep!  I couldn't even begin to think how I could explain that sort of expenditure away to my wife!

I kind of like the gaudy colours you used on the wall.  I immediately thought of you layout which is pretty busy and somewhat caricature and that it would fit into that scene very well.  This is not meant to be a criticism - I, too, stretch the boundary's in my modeling - at a somewhat slower pace.

Its an interesting point Eric brings up.  I often find myself not commenting on someone's work as I see issues that just glare at me, and I can't bring myself to comment without mentioning them and potentially upsetting someone.

One thing you might give a try in future - when adding extensions to weatherboard structures, I often mark the position of the wall very accurately, and then run a sharp knife down the wall.  I do another the thickness of the wall (and bracing) away, and then run a sharp chisel down the wall, taking the positive detail off the weatherboards.  In this way I get rid of the gaps that you get at these intersections, between the extension and the main structure.

Personally - I don't like the uncut piece of rolled roofing.  I just can't imagine it ever being done.  You're bound to post a prototype picture to prove me wrong now...

I know its years down the track - but with great structures like this out there I can see me extending my urban scenery further into Shadowlands!  I, too, love the outside elevator - but the overall flow, changes in height, positive and negative detail - is just tremendous!

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Quote from: deemery on August 06, 2021, 04:35:23 PM
The construction and finish looks great.  That overhang really bothers me from an engineering perspective, though.  I'd feel a lot more comfortable if you added wood diagonals from the end of the beams down to anchor points on the wall. 

dave

Dave,

And it would me, too, even with my often overwrought sense of fantasy architecture.  ;)  But in fact there is an entire support structure to be built in place beneath that large overhanging wing as well as the front wing.  I must first "build in" the rock base beneath both. There are timber columns and concrete bases to support the uprights.

Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

Opa George

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on August 06, 2021, 04:57:41 PM
Looking great, George!

I so wanted this kit - I think my favourite to date from Fos Scale models.  Our GST laws have changed now, but at the time I worked out it would cost over $900NZ to get this kit to my doorstep!  I couldn't even begin to think how I could explain that sort of expenditure away to my wife!

I kind of like the gaudy colours you used on the wall.  I immediately thought of you layout which is pretty busy and somewhat caricature and that it would fit into that scene very well.  This is not meant to be a criticism - I, too, stretch the boundary's in my modeling - at a somewhat slower pace.

Its an interesting point Eric brings up.  I often find myself not commenting on someone's work as I see issues that just glare at me, and I can't bring myself to comment without mentioning them and potentially upsetting someone.

One thing you might give a try in future - when adding extensions to weatherboard structures, I often mark the position of the wall very accurately, and then run a sharp knife down the wall.  I do another the thickness of the wall (and bracing) away, and then run a sharp chisel down the wall, taking the positive detail off the weatherboards.  In this way I get rid of the gaps that you get at these intersections, between the extension and the main structure.

Personally - I don't like the uncut piece of rolled roofing.  I just can't imagine it ever being done.  You're bound to post a prototype picture to prove me wrong now...

I know its years down the track - but with great structures like this out there I can see me extending my urban scenery further into Shadowlands!  I, too, love the outside elevator - but the overall flow, changes in height, positive and negative detail - is just tremendous!

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks, Mark!  I appreciate the tip on getting a closer fit on additions and eliminating those gaps. The close-up pics really show off the imperfections.  I've thought about ways to do that and will give that technique a try. After all, there are only so many vines you can "plant" to hide those gaps!  ;)

Also the rolled roofing, in looking at the pics close up, I agree and think I will go back and cut in a few more joints.  I can vary the edge and add a patch or two to break up the monotony.

I do appreciate the critical comments. Nine times out of ten I'm aware of whatever the issue might be and anticipating some critical feedback and looking forward to solutions. The difference in this forum is the respect we all show each other.  I avoid posting to those (fortunately rare) forums which can be downright cruel.

On the kit itself--I have been looking forward to starting it for over a year and it is not disappointing me.  Great challenges and equally great rewards in solving them. But it's likely my last "big" kit since there is only so much space on my layout.  The brand new FOS kit, the Flat Iron block, looks wonderful, but won't fit either space wise, or theme, to my layout, so I'm passing it up.

Take care, friend! 

--Opa George
George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA

deemery

Quote from: Opa George on August 06, 2021, 05:39:21 PM
.... There are timber columns and concrete bases to support the uprights.

Opa George

That makes me feel MUCH better.  I'd hate for your Little People to get involved in a 'building fell down' lawsuit.  (My father was a consulting structural engineer and was involved as an expert in a couple of those.  The stories he told from those were very interesting!)

dave

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looks just beautiful so far. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

GPdemayo

Beautiful work George.....love the photos in real light.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Opa George

Thanks, Karl and thanks, Greg.  Was just doing a little more land-forming to situate the structure on the layout.  More pics coming soon.

Best,
--Opa George
George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA

Opa George

The main structure, the mill, is situated on the layout, on a (soon to be) rocky outcrop above the swamp.  I need to work from the top down, and first are the water levels, so first in are the canals. 

This is the rear with canal and most side walls in place. Water is painted acrylics on foamboard. Once I get a few more walls in place I'll add about a dozen layers of gloss mod podge for a nice water look.  I'll model waterfalls using crystal clear caulking, then add splashes and ripples with gel. But all of that will come later.

And here is the mill front, with the portion of the canal not diverted to the rear sluice gate of the mill. The foam board that is painted light brown in terra firma. The greenish bluish represents the front canal. Both front and rear canals will plunge via waterfalls about eleven inches to the rocks below to form a lake that feeds the wetlands that make up the swamp portion of the layout.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA

Opa George

Doug included three bridges with the kit.  Here is the footbridge, that crosses the canal from the rear doors. This went together much easier than I anticipated. Doug recommended super glue, but I preferred using wood glue, putting a light bit on each surface and allowing 30 seconds for it to get tacky, then pressing them together.

Once the side I-beams (sides with the circles) were constructed, the rest was easy.  This will be painted and 2x10 boards will make up the deck.

The second of three bridges is a concrete vehicle bridge to cross the canal.  This was a relatively straightforward process, with two wide flat pieces making up the deck and laser cut sides constructed in a sandwich.  You can see the side sandwich construction as the parts are of dark plywood and light taskboard material.

This is finished except for painting. It represents concrete, so I'll give it a gray primer coat using a rattle can, then brush paint several concrete colors using chalk paints.

--All for the moment.
Opa George
George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA

deemery

That iron bridge is nice!  (Reminds me of a Sellers Turntable, iron turntable with similar circular cut-outs.)

dave

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Lynnb

Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Opa George

Thank you very much, Dave, Curt, Jerry and Lynn,

Here are some more progress pics.  This is the front of the mill with the canal side wall.  The other side of the canal (barely in the shot to the right) will be a natural bank as opposed to a retaining wall.  The box car shows about where a siding will be located.  I need to build the loading dock in place.

George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA