Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on October 03, 2021, 04:34:25 PM
Hey John:

All I can say is Wowwie. Just beautifully done. Great colts and beautifully done scenery. I really like your bumpers.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the kind words. The bumpers are built with wood and dirt - two materials the S&S RR have in great supply. I may just use the same construction for the bumpers in the Superior Yard.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on October 03, 2021, 05:45:01 PM
Very nice John

Steve

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words.  I got the dirt and the ballast down in front of the Roundhouse before dinner, this evening.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I had a nice talk with George Sellios this morning - he had already seen the pictures of scenery in front of the locomotive works. He told me the he really liked the scene and said he is not conscious of using the same color pallet as we discussed, but just creates the scenes on the F&SM using a "GOD given talent".   George also told me about his new project on the F&SM - something for the next group of visitors at his next open house to find a photograph.  I hope we get some pictures posted on the forum.
John Siekirk

Bernd

Fabulous scenery John. I love it those two buildings. Just something about the block walls.

The first impression I got from the pictures was that it looked like the buildings had been abandoned for several years with the height of the grass and shrubs. Only my opinion. Perhaps your not done with with strewing around junk parts yet.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

tom.boyd.125

John,
Your scenery work looks great !
Makes the structures really stand out in your scenes on the layout.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

Quote from: Bernd on October 05, 2021, 11:54:47 AM
Fabulous scenery John. I love it those two buildings. Just something about the block walls.

The first impression I got from the pictures was that it looked like the buildings had been abandoned for several years with the height of the grass and shrubs. Only my opinion. Perhaps your not done with with strewing around junk parts yet.

Bernd

Bernd

Thank you for the kind words and I appreciate your comments.  I'm working on the abandoned look.

The S&S RR is way too busy moving freight to bother with mowing the grass or trimming the bushes. I have a lot more details to add to the scene that will make it look less abandoned. Just adding a figure walking between the roundhouse and the locomotive works helped a lot.  Please stay tuned.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on October 05, 2021, 05:35:36 PM
John,
Your scenery work looks great !
Makes the structures really stand out in your scenes on the layout.
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you my friend. I really like how the scenery makes the structures pop out in the scene. A few more layers to go but it's getting there.
John Siekirk

Bernd

Quote from: S&S RR on October 05, 2021, 08:54:17 PM
Bernd

Thank you for the kind words and I appreciate your comments.  I'm working on the abandoned look.

The S&S RR is way too busy moving freight to bother with mowing the grass or trimming the bushes. I have a lot more details to add to the scene that will make it look less abandoned. Just adding a figure walking between the roundhouse and the locomotive works helped a lot.  Please stay tuned.

You're welcome. I wasn't going to mention the way it looked. Won't be abandoning this thread come hell or high water. I want to see what the layout will look like when done. Keep up the great modeling. I'll learn a bit more on scenery from following.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

S&S RR

Quote from: Bernd on October 06, 2021, 04:43:49 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on October 05, 2021, 08:54:17 PM
Bernd

You're welcome. I wasn't going to mention the way it looked. Won't be abandoning this thread come hell or high water. I want to see what the layout will look like when done. Keep up the great modeling. I'll learn a bit more on scenery from following.

Bernd

Bernd

It's great to have you along on the journey.  I'm getting back at my modeling, today, after being away for a few days.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  I'm getting started with the area in-front of the Roundhouse, now. The dirt and ballast are in, and the track has been cleaned.  It looks like I need to fix one of the Roundhouse doors that got hit while I was cleaning the track.  Next up, scenery materials.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

As I'm adding the scenery to the Eagles Nest yard I'm finding it easier to work on a few square inches at a time rather than a few square feet and lots of layers. Here is a picture of the few square inches that I worked on today in front of the Stone Roundhouse.

Yes, there will be changes (for example the little birch tree is going find a new home). And I have a plan for the area in front of this, I'm waiting for some castings to dry.

In addition to working on the scenery, I have been preparing a large batch of detail castings for primer.  I'll have a picture tomorrow. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The work on the scenery is continuing, I will take some progress pictures at the end of the day, today.  I'm also working on preparing a large batch of detail castings for priming.  My workbenches are filling up with a bunch of little projects, details for the Eagles Nest Yard. Cranes and roof top water tanks and details to name a few.  These are all great projects going into my fall fishing trips when I have less time at the workbench.
John Siekirk

vinceg

That's a great little scene, John. The colors all play very nicely together.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

deemery

John, to pick a nit:  Seems to me that stuff tends to rust -to an even color over time-.  That pile looks like it's at least 30 years old.  If that's not your intent, you might want to shade stuff so there's more color variation.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to