Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Here is what it looked like when I quit for the day.  I have added a bunch more window castings, built the bay window for the mill (it will be ready to install in the morning), and added another layer of glue to the water areas. I'm in the process of building the bell tower on my other workbench - if I could just find out what I did with the bell casting.  :-[

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Lynnb

Looking terrific, I've also found the use of real rocks really sets the scene for later scenery.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on August 23, 2021, 03:03:54 PM
Looking terrific, I've also found the use of real rocks really sets the scene for later scenery.

Lynn

Thank you for the kind words. I combine the real rocks with the plaster rocks that I painted and I really like the look. It took some time to get the painting technique down - but I'm happy with the results, now.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The last few days have been spent replacing my old light fixtures in the basement with new LED fixtures. I have also been loading software and setting up a new MacBook Pro computer. My old one works fine when it is plugged in but the battery life is very short after 8 years of hard use.  I also needed more disk space so my new computer has 2 T of disk space.  I plan on doing some video work so the extra space will come in handy.  I have a spot picked out in the workshop where the old computer will be available - plugged in - for quick lookups and orders. It will also go with me on my fishing trips. I can plug it in at the cabin, in the car, or in the boat (for when the fish are not bitting).

Tomorrow, I plan on getting back to some structure builds and the scenery work in the Eagles Nest Yard.

I also got an email from Scenic Express and they have completed their move to Colorado and have their website back up and ready for my next order (which I just about have ready to go).
John Siekirk

deemery

My '14 MB Pro was showing signs of swelling battery, I just got it back after the repair.  This is one of the last models that has the SD card slot so it was worth saving (and it has a 1TB drive, plenty of room for music and photos.)  But I'm due for a new laptop, we'll see what the new 15"/16" look like this fall...

dave

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 25, 2021, 08:13:20 PM
My '14 MB Pro was showing signs of swelling battery, I just got it back after the repair.  This is one of the last models that has the SD card slot so it was worth saving (and it has a 1TB drive, plenty of room for music and photos.)  But I'm due for a new laptop, we'll see what the new 15"/16" look like this fall...

dave

Dave

i bought the 16 inch. So far I really like it. A few new features like you can use your finger print to open and a smart keyboard toolbar that gives you function keys with some applications.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

It's coming along just beautifully. I'm enjoying your build.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 26, 2021, 12:39:57 PM
Hey John:

It's coming along just beautifully. I'm enjoying your build.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, it's great to have you along on the journey.  I just sent out a big order for scenery materials for the Eagles Nest Yard. My next big project.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

hey John:

You are quite welcome. I shall be following along on the Eagles Nest Yard project.

Karl

S&S RR

Update: Progress photograph of the Sayles Mill Build. I finally got the tile roof done on the main structure.  I have a few hours invested in that project. Lots of little tiles painted with the markers. ::)

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Excellent modeling John. I love the use of real rocks.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

deemery

Looking at the coaling trestle:  Seems to me that coal dumped would tend to fall into the river.  Are you going to add a wall along the river to keep the coal in place?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the water.  I still need to do water along my mill canal scene.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on August 28, 2021, 09:41:45 AM
Excellent modeling John. I love the use of real rocks.

Curt

Thank you so much for the kind words. 
John Siekirk