Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I'm also using the subassemblies from the F&SM Tribute #1 kit to test different placement scenarios and color combinations before moving on with completing this kit.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Rail and Tie

Nice stacking layout of the buildings. Minimal blocking of the roundhouse scene to the rear.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on December 02, 2021, 09:14:31 AM
I really like the way this is coming out John.

Dennis

Thank you, I really need to let these building locations sit for awhile and go back and take another look in a couple days. Then I will start getting the glue bottle out.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Rail and Tie on December 02, 2021, 01:12:42 PM
Nice stacking layout of the buildings. Minimal blocking of the roundhouse scene to the rear.

Darryl

Thank you for the kind words. You are exactly right about one of my design criteria, I'm trying to make sure that each of the structures can be photographed without a view block. It takes some time but I'm getting there. The roads, fences and scenery will tie everything together.
John Siekirk

Bernd

Wow, haven't stopped by in a while. Life distractions.

Looking great John. Can't wait to see all when finished.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

postalkarl

Hey John:

The structures look great. Can't to see more.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 03, 2021, 11:17:34 AM
Hey John:

The structures look great. Can't to see more.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, more on the way, it's modeling season.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I managed to get a little bench time in, today. I have most of the clapboard walls for Hooker's braced and under weights on my workbench. I forgot a picture. :-[  I also made the gaterboard baseboard for Hookers. Here is a picture of the location and the odd shaped baseboard.  I have a very different plan for the structure that I'm still working on the details for. More on this later.

The structure will be right along the Riverfront.
John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

John,
Can see the modeling season is going on at top speed there in Michigan.
Keep sharing all your great builds in this thread. Can't wait to see what you do with Hooker's and the FSM tribute kits.
Stay Safe !!!
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on December 05, 2021, 02:28:08 PM
John,
Can see the modeling season is going on at top speed there in Michigan.
Keep sharing all your great builds in this thread. Can't wait to see what you do with Hooker's and the FSM tribute kits.
Stay Safe !!!
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you for stopping by the thread. I'm getting ramped up for some serious modeling this winter.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I started doing the dry fitting for the Hooker & son build.  I will be renaming the structure and turning it into an apartment complex set along the river. Here are a couple pictures of the process on my workbench.

The goal with this is to make sure the wall sections fit together properly and to establish the footprint on the baseboard. Once I'm satisfied with the placement I will get out the glue bottle.  The baseboard is actually clamped with the first piece of strip wood that will serve as the foundation for the long deck that will extend along the river front.
John Siekirk

cuse

That's a great kit...I know the first time I'd seen one in person was on a layout tour (some Expo, probably with you)...such a neat, distinctive building. Nice progress!

John

postalkarl

Hey John:L

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: cuse on December 07, 2021, 01:03:24 PM
That's a great kit...I know the first time I'd seen one in person was on a layout tour (some Expo, probably with you)...such a neat, distinctive building. Nice progress!

John

John

Thank you for following along - it is a very unique structure that can be used for many purposes.  To me it looks like it wants to be renovated into an apartment complex. We will see where this takes me.
John Siekirk