Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

That is one Gorgeous job John!!!! The roundhouse and Locomotive work's came out perfect.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on October 12, 2021, 02:04:54 PM
Sometimes I get so carried away studying your pictures I forget to post something.  I see that happened again yesterday.

Looking magnificent, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

I'm glad you find interest in the photographs - I also spend a lot of time studying the photographs looking for ways to improve the scene. As always, thank you for following along and your comments. I really like seeing the structure builds  come alive when you make them part of a scene on the layout. This stone roundhouse was built from castings from the original Bob VanGelder Stone Roundhouse that he gave to George Sellios.  George gave me the castings that were left over from his Stone Roundhouse on the F&SM (with Bob's permission). I made a mold and the rest of the story can be reviewed if you go back a few years in this thread - I documented the story and the build in this thread.

The locomotive works was scratch built from those same original castings.  The roof line was designed by Frank Baker (one of our forum members)  - he sent me plans and a mockup and said this is what I would do with the roof.  I liked it and built it.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Yes - there are future plans for those castings on the S&S RR. Stay tuned.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on October 12, 2021, 03:30:41 PM
That is one Gorgeous job John!!!! The roundhouse and Locomotive work's came out perfect.

Thank you, my friend.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update on my detail casting painting project:  I decided to prime the castings for my next three builds along with another 200 castings that I just received.  Bill at Railroad kits made a bunch of special FSM castings for my VanSel project. It really is easier for me to load up the paint in the airbrush and paint a bunch of castings all at the same time.  I will take a picture when they are all on the workbench after making their way through the paint booth.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

your last batch of photos is just magnificent. Love the roundhouse and all that great scenery around it.
Keep the pics coming.

Karl

Bernd

Superb job John. The scene looks great. Just love those two buildings. Makes me want to get going on my roundhouse project.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Lynnb

Wow John your round house and area is very impressive, that must be static grass applied to the ground work? What kind of turntable are you using?
I don't know why but castings has always given me a problem , I don't know if it's having to pick several unique colours or what , you sir have it all figured out I see.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on October 13, 2021, 04:32:21 PM
Hey John:

your last batch of photos is just magnificent. Love the roundhouse and all that great scenery around it.
Keep the pics coming.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, I'm going to go in the my layout room and work until I have something new to take a picture of. ;) ;D ;D ;D
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Bernd on October 13, 2021, 06:36:46 PM
Superb job John. The scene looks great. Just love those two buildings. Makes me want to get going on my roundhouse project.

Bernd

Bernd

Thank you for the kind words.  Every layout needs at least one roundhouse.  I have plans to build a couple more smaller ones for the Superior Yard and I also have one planned for my Narrow Gauge locomotives. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on October 13, 2021, 11:11:38 PM
Wow John your round house and area is very impressive, that must be static grass applied to the ground work? What kind of turntable are you using?
I don't know why but castings has always given me a problem , I don't know if it's having to pick several unique colours or what , you sir have it all figured out I see.

Lynn

Thank you for kind comments.  Yes - I started with Static Grass (5 different layers of different colors and lengths). It looks long by Eastern standards but I have been studying my prototype pictures and that tall golden grass seems to be everywhere in the West. I had this picture in my mind and kept going back to my photographs to reassure myself. I actually had to lay some of the static grass down to give it the wind swept look.  The new Static King applicator made it stand up real straight. 

For the castings I use Vallejo Surface Primer to start (I sort the castings into four groups that receive a coat of tan, rust brown, black, or white primer) - and yes I do like to paint them in large batches - truth be told - I like to get it out of the way because it's not my favorite part of the hobby.  The rusty castings are all painted with calks and alcohol.  I use acrylic paints for all the other colors.  I typically paint a years worth of castings in the Fall and Early Winter while I'm at my cabin hunting and fishing.  Another reason for the large batch.
John Siekirk

Jerry

John beautiful scenery work sure brought the roundhouse to life!

And the building under construction what a great idea adds a lot to the scene.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on October 14, 2021, 10:38:26 PM
John beautiful scenery work sure brought the roundhouse to life!

And the building under construction what a great idea adds a lot to the scene.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words. I'm starting the process of tying the Crew Quarters into the scene, today.

John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

The roundhouse and turntable areas are looking fantastic.

Think how much we would get done it not for taking, uploading, cropping and then posting our updates.   :-X

Well done.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 15, 2021, 09:57:23 AM
Think how much we would get done it not for taking, uploading, cropping and then posting our updates.   :-X

The rest of us here would be -much the poorer- without the efforts by John, Tom, Bob, et.al. to document their builds.  Those provide both instruction and inspiration.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to