Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

Couldn't agree more about the new Sierra West 3D prints!

Great to see more of your process, John. Thanks for sharing.

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on October 30, 2021, 12:24:06 PM
Couldn't agree more about the new Sierra West 3D prints!

Great to see more of your process, John. Thanks for sharing.

Craig

Thank you for stopping by, and yes Brett is doing some great work.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I finally got the primer coat on the latest batch of castings (approximately 1500 of them, I lost count).  This is the castings for the next four kits that I plan to build plus many extra castings that I purchased separately. It is all about the details.  The castings will be pulled from here to go to my detailing bench for final painting and weathering.

The area of the layout where I have them stored is going to be a small town serviced by both a Narrow gauge and standard gauge railroad.  There will be a yard, and service facility for the Narrow Gauge and a transfer facility for the passenger and freight trains.  In the background is a clay model that I made of the the area to help figure out what I wanted to do with the landforms.

John Siekirk

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on November 01, 2021, 12:19:08 PM
John.....

Pretty amazing  ! ! ! !

Thanx
Bob

Hi Bob

Great to hear from you, thank you for following along. It's just the way I roll, as they say. My workbenches are all ready now for three more builds.  I have a bunch of small builds planned on one workbench and two major builds scheduled for the other two workbenches. I need a number of small structures to complete the Eagles Nest Yard area of the layout. Small structures need lots of detail, too.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 01, 2021, 02:26:55 PM
That is a lot of detail parts!

Curt

Yes it is, but I'm always amazed at how fast the layout eats them up.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I finally got back to building some structures.  I guess technically I was working on some structures when I was painting the detail castings, but today walls started to get built. I thought I would do my traditional what's on my workbenches photographs to introduce my next builds.

First, the Sayles mill has been sitting for a few weeks while I was doing some scenery work in the Eagles Nest Yard and putting the primer on the big batch of detail castings. I will be completing the detail work on this build over the next few weeks.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

On my layout table I started adding the bracing to the walls of the Bar Mills F&SM Tribute kit number one.  I will be building these structures separately and using them in more than one area on my layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

In the background of the above pictures you will see the brick walls have been through the paint booth for my third build project the O. V. Hooker SRMW kit. I will again be building the major structures for this kit separately and using them in different location on the layout.  The main brick structure will find a home along the river near the Sayles Mill in Vansel.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, for tonight, my detailing workbench is currently covered with detail castings that are getting a final coat of paint and / or weathering. As soon as I get the castings I need for the four current builds finished, I will be building two FSM kits. The Icing platform and the John Allen water tower.  Both of these structures are planned to find a home in the Eagles Nest Yard.  The little gray trays you see on the workbench are the containers I use to store the finished castings. They lock into place in my workbench drawers to keep the castings from getting bounced around.  There is a strip above each of my workbenches that the trays clip into when I'm working on a diorama.  They also find there way to the layout when I'm doing the scenery and final detailing work.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Exciting times coming up, John!

But then it is always exciting around your place...

Looking forward to the Bar Mills tribute kit most.  The structure to the far right is a favourite of mine.  I have Master Creations 'Fanny Schwahns confectionary'. which half of has a very similar look.

Your organisational skills put me to shame!

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey John:

think I built that one somewhere along the line. I'll be following along.

Karl