Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Tonight, a few progress pictures on the roof for Hooker & Son.  It took some creativity to find ways of holding the pieces of this roof together while the glue dried.

Four more dormers to add and then some trimming and hole filling before I move on to the tile roof.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Janbouli

What a special building with those dormers , you're doing a great job John .
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on January 14, 2022, 03:22:37 AM
What a special building with those dormers , you're doing a great job John .

Jan

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the encouraging words. I will have a few hours in applying the tile roof, but I think it is going to be worth it. It is amazing how many pieces there are to this roof.
John Siekirk

cuse

that looks great John...I've never even imagined that kit anything but red. Really cool!

John

S&S RR

Quote from: cuse on January 14, 2022, 12:06:06 PM
that looks great John...I've never even imagined that kit anything but red. Really cool!

John

John

Thank you for the encouraging words - After deciding that the colors that Bob chose for the prototype of the kit just would not work on my layout in the location I had in mind, it took a lot of work to change the colors. Wayne Olson and I spent a couple hours one Saturday looking at all the test pieces I had made trying to decide on a color scheme and this is what we decided on.  I think it is going to work real well in the location. I'm also excited about how it will fit in to the layout location repurposed as an apartment building.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

On my way to finishing up the last four dormers on the roof for Hooker & Son I discovered I only had three of the four roof castings that go over the dormers.  After spending a half an hour searching on top of and underneath workbenches I decided to make one out of bass wood. It took about 10 minutes.  The follow photographs describe the process. This is probably how Bob made the prototype for his mold.

Ready to go on the model as soon as the paint dries.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the dormers going on the model.  I really love the bench cookies for setups - they stay where you put them.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is where the roof was at when I quit for the night.  A little cutting and hole filling and it will be time to start adding the tile roofing.

John Siekirk

Janbouli

Good recovery John , of course you found it the moment you finished the replacement  ;)
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on January 15, 2022, 01:17:29 PM
Good recovery John , of course you found it the moment you finished the replacement  ;)

Jan

I expect to find it now that the replacement is on the model but so far it hasn't shown up.  I have four check marks from when I inventoried the kit parts, so I lost it some where in this shop. It's probably on the floor behind something.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, John.

It sure is an unusual roof design.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on January 15, 2022, 01:44:16 PM
Looking good, John.

It sure is an unusual roof design.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Yes it is - I'll have a few hours in applying the slate tiles. Lots of cutting and fitting.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I took this picture this morning as I started adding the vent castings to the Sayles Mill. That is a lot of castings on that tray.  I'm not sure that I will use all of them.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

hey John:

Model looks just great. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision