#140 FSM Sawmill for Lady Lake Depot Museum

Started by Jim Donovan, September 05, 2021, 09:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

A friend asked me to create a sawmill scene as part of the local museum's operating layout located in Lady Lake Florida. The layout depicts the various high points of the local area as connected to the Atlantic Coast Line R.R.. The sawmill was called Hesters, was located one mile south of town, had a siding and operated until 1931.

The FSM #140 kit looks like a smaller version of the Hester Mill operation and due to size restrictions I decided to use it as the centerpiece of the scene.

At this point I have completed the mill and next need to set it on the layout and add the details to complete the scene.

Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

The kit is heavy with high quality castings and includes a complete interior. Therefore it is best to build it so the roof is removable.

Jim Donovan

I decided to make the lights operational. To do so I used 1 x 12 board and 2 x 4 board to create a long 'box' to contain the two ceiling lights in the main part of the sawmill. You can see it in the last photo running down the length of the truss center. A single light is mounted in the work shop.

I will try to post finished photo's when located on the layout. The kit itself is straightforward with a lot of time spent on painting the individual castings. I may post some photo's of painting the castings as I used a lot of alcohol washes instead of just paint. The footprint is small, so great for small spaces. For the museum layout I will be adding lots of finished lumber and trees to be cut along with trucks arriving and leaving. I expect that will take up another 3x of space.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

vinceg

Nice work, Jim. Kinda neat that many others will get to enjoy your work.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Keep It Rusty

Lovely stuff here, Jim.

Although, see to that twisted belt before the foreman gets wind of it! ;)

Bernd

Jim,

Excellent job on the diorama. I'm getting some good ideas from all the top kit builders on this forum for doing, forlack ofa better word, "small building dioramas" which can later be install on the layout.

Thanks for the share.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

ReadingBob

Super build Jim!  Looks like that one was a lot of fun.  Great that it'll be displayed where a lot of folks will get to enjoy it.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Jim,

Nicely done on the museum diorama. Good to see the museum is still going.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Jim Donovan

Quote from: vinceg on September 05, 2021, 10:00:21 AM
Nice work, Jim. Kinda neat that many others will get to enjoy your work.

Vince thank you and you are right I thought it would be great to have something I made seen in public. Better then winning a trophy!

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on September 05, 2021, 11:05:39 AM
Lovely stuff here, Jim.

Although, see to that twisted belt before the foreman gets wind of it! ;)
Ah the infamous twisted belt. I know you are just kidding but a lot of research actually went into the pulley system because, like you, I did not see how belts could be twisted 90 degrees in a manner where they would actually track. I found a YouTube video showing how it is done so attempted to add the necessary pulleys, belts and drive train to make it happen. Frankly I think I missed something and not being an engineer I decided 'close enough' (a government term).would have to do. Still, I like that you noticed. The belt slipping off in photo was fixed.

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Bernd on September 05, 2021, 12:10:27 PM
Jim,

Excellent job on the diorama. I'm getting some good ideas from all the top kit builders on this forum for doing, forlack ofa better word, "small building dioramas" which can later be install on the layout.

Thanks for the share.

Bernd

Berne I am flattered and happy if I helped you in any way. Personally I love the smaller buildings. My own layout is small so they fit in the scenes better.. Thanks again

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: ReadingBob on September 05, 2021, 12:17:19 PM
Super build Jim!  Looks like that one was a lot of fun.  Great that it'll be displayed where a lot of folks will get to enjoy it.   ;)

Bob thank you, you're right, it was fun. The directions that George proves on this kit are not his normal standard and I had some 'how would that work' questions., so I researched how these old plants operated before building the kit. I ended up truly impressed with our grandfather's ingenuity and toughness. These plants were loud, rough and dangerous.

Jim D