Tuesday September 7, 2021

Started by NEMMRRC, September 07, 2021, 05:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

We're back from our weekend in Baltimore.  That was a good time.  The last time I actually met my friend's twin boys was when they were 12 or so, they're now in their late 20s...  They both have grown up well.  (The one who just got married is in the Air Force, he might make it a career.  The other was in the Army Rangers, he's off active duty but does 'part time soldering.'  We talked a bit about his time in Afghanistan.) 

I discovered just before we left that I cut the damn doors on the stone factory -upside down-.  Next time I'll label "top" on clapboard with a magic marker!   >:(

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Opa George

Quote from: MartyO on September 07, 2021, 09:45:02 AM
morning,

We found an immature tick on our cat yesterday. Panic ensued! I don't know why?

Marty--ticks are very common in my part of Pennsylvania.  We use a product called Bravecto on our cat. It is a liquid repellent that we apply to the back of her neck once every three months.  Once in a while we'll find a tick on her coat, but it is never attached and is lethargic and dying.  This stuff is a little expensive, but the most effective we've ever used.  Not over the counter, though.  We have to get it through our vet.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

MartyO

Thanks for responding George. I talked to the cat owner and she is convinced that it is not for her cats. My head hurts!
Marty

deemery

There are side effects with any medication.  After all, flea&tick stuff is a poison to the insects.  Some of the flea&tick stuff have a worse record than others.  (We're using Frontline on our dogs, as recommended by our vets.  Previous dog got Bravecto without any problems, different vet.)

We'd -hope- there's a risk assessment here, the risk of a side effect, vs the risk of tick-borne disease to both animals and humans.  (Unfortunately, it's more likely 'I heard there could be side effects and I'm afraid of them.')

Today I looked at the long clapboard siding wall.  Not only did I cut the doors upside-down (I was thinking about ways to recover), the piece warped badly.  So I just tossed it.  Time to start over on that project. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Opa George

Quote from: deemery on September 08, 2021, 11:39:57 AM
There are side effects with any medication.  After all, flea&tick stuff is a poison to the insects.  Some of the flea&tick stuff have a worse record than others.  (We're using Frontline on our dogs, as recommended by our vets.  Previous dog got Bravecto without any problems, different vet.)

We'd -hope- there's a risk assessment here, the risk of a side effect, vs the risk of tick-borne disease to both animals and humans.  (Unfortunately, it's more likely 'I heard there could be side effects and I'm afraid of them.')

dave

Absolutely agree--it is all about balance.  Our vet is a young woman, very holistically oriented, but also embraces medications where necessary.  She likes the Bravecto since its active ingredient shows no nerve damage to the pet in clinical trials.   But to the balance part--Central PA is one of the worst areas in the US for ticks, so it becomes more of a question of how best to combat them when we do allow our cat access to the backyard and woods.  Toronto is not yet a hotbed for ticks and the threat of Lyme disease is low, although I read they are on the rise there, as in so many other places. 
-Geo
George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA

MartyO

I think this is what my daughter had done. She is an Admin for a Pets user group on the net and has conferred with many of the members who are vets and are very experienced with ticks around the world. She found an article written by her own vet that outlined the risks of ticks I our area.

Our cats are mostly indoor cats with supervision when outdoors. In the 13 years we have taken them outside this is the first tick we found on out fenced in property. I never  let the grass grow higher than two inches, so the attachment risk is low.

However, the "native" wild life does visit every night. (dang those racoons!)

I have two friends who have Lyme disease and the ravines in Toronto have now been identified are "hot zones" those pesky ticks. This has raised the awareness and fear of tick born aliments.

BTW: here are some pics of our cats, https://www.instagram.com/bowiespacecat/
Marty

Opa George

I love those cat names, but especially Zaphod from Hitchhiker's Guide.
George Nagle
Harrisburg, PA