My Indiana Layout - Part 2

Started by John B, September 11, 2021, 03:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

I have not been keeping this post update, so I will start where I left off.  Keep in mind, what you see might not be there anymore.  I went through a lot of decisions and changes. So here goes:

I can't believe that's it has been so long since I've posted anything. It's even harder to believe that the layout hasn't progressed any further than it has; especially since I'm retired.

Well, for an update, I've defined the layout boundaries and heights by adding the fascia. There was going to be a highway overpass on the right hand corner; but I pulled the tunnel portal out of the mountain and re-plastered it. The switches on the left hand side are in an wired for future use. The big red switch turns off all power and 120 volt outlets to the layout. I liked the looks of a rocker switch so they turn on-and-off the sound effect systems that I have installed. The other set of rockers will control all of the lighting effects. The lone rocker is for the end of the line programming track. The slider switch is going to control the LED lighting.

John B

The next photo is the bridgework to Joanstown. I don't even want to tell you how many bridges and configurations I went through to wind up with this. The first setup (Walther's Cornerstone) worked fine; in fact I machined out a couple of Chooch portals to fit the bridges. The only problem with this was the track placement. I placed Styrofoam risers inside Joanstown to accommodate 3/16th foam board that would be Joanstown base (or floor). Started with structure placement; but the trackwork started bugging me; it was on top of the foam board and stood out like a sore thumb. So I did a little track measuring and internet shopping to find something that I could use to bring the tracklevel to the same height as the floor (the 3/16th would not work). I found some poster board and illustration board that would work. So I ripped out the 3/16 foam board. The it dawned on me; the machined portals would no longer work with the Walther's bridges; the bridge would sit higher than the base. I didn't want to radically cut away on the pair of bridges; and I the portals are epoxied in place, so I built several bridges to find one that would fit. I finally settled on 3 Vollmer bridges. One was too long and I had to shorten it to reach across the layout.

John B

I also decided to rip out the big mountain and place a Sierra-West Twin Mills sawmill in it.Also had to backdate everything to incorporated my shay and climax into the picture. I will not be using the early diesels; but use steam.I procrastinate a lot; very bad habit. I like to think out all scenarios so I can make things right the first time. Obviously that hasn't worked for me so far; so hopefully now that I finally have most of the layout bugs ironed out, I can start structure building and placement.  Also had to backdate everything to incorporated my shay and climax into the picture. I will not be using the early diesels; but use steam.[/size]I procrastinate a lot; very bad habit. I like to think out all scenarios so I can make things right the first time. Obviously that hasn't worked for me so far; so hopefully now that I finally have most of the layout bugs ironed out, I can start structure building and placement.

John B

I am still working on my layout...at a snail's pace. Retired 2 years now; and I just don't know where all the time goes. Finally figured out a direction for the layout and after selling and buying many kits; I am finally dialed in. Working on Joanstown at the present.

John B

It's a wonder that I get anything done at all. I am always changing things and nothing gets finished. Joanstown was getting to be like the Hotel California "...you can never leave". So I cut an recess in one of the Chooch Portals to fit a RIX Early Highway Overpass.

John B

I have a completed fascia installed and I didn't want the RIX overpass to stop in midair (I'm too much of Klutz) so I drew so straight lines on a section of the fascia and brought out the Doall saw. I also had to cut one of the plywood supports

John B

I cut a piece of hard board to fit the opening.

John B

Once I was satisfied with the fit, I cut the overpass support out and the rest flush with the layout top.

John B

I marked where the supports were on the hardboard, and countersunk them to fit drywall nails. I wet the particle board to fit the radius cut better and attach it with glue and drywall screws. By wetting the board, it fit the radius very well; but I missed the length cuts by about an 1/8 of an inch; so I put drywall tape on both ends and mudded the screws and tape.
[/size]
[/size]Looks like a little sanding and one coat of drywall mud will do. Paint turns drywall mud back into mud, so I am thinking of spray priming the whole thing with Walmart white primer.[/size][/font]

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I'll be following along>

Karl

cuse

Nice work, John. I really like the long retaining wall coloring...what's a Doal Saw? (I'm guessing the vibrating type-that's what I would have used for that angle and material).

Thanks for sharing.

John M.

GPdemayo

Glad to see you back at the layout John.....looking forward to seeing what you will do next. :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

John B

Quote from: cuse on September 15, 2021, 06:52:02 AM
Nice work, John. I really like the long retaining wall coloring...what's a Doal Saw? (I'm guessing the vibrating type-that's what I would have used for that angle and material).

Thanks for sharing.

John M.

We used a lot of nicknames for a Reciprocating Saw when I was in Maintenance.  We called them Saws-all, Do-All saws, and a few names that I can't repeat on an open thread like this.

tom.boyd.125

John,
Joanstown looks great. Like the mix of structures you built for that town.
Keep the updates coming.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tct855

John,
           Holy Cow!, this is coming along nicely!  I can see where you've put in some thought on some things and where you're keeping the finished product in mind as you're building.  Great craftsmanship sir!
                                                      Thanx Thom...