North Pole Square of The Polar Express

Started by carl b, September 18, 2021, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl b

Appreciate your kind remarks Mark.
Thank you for following along!
Carl

carl b

The first floor main entrance is 3 1/4" wide by 3 3/8" high. Same approach here as the others, a large arched ceiling, this one surrounding the front door. Additional trim on this one, all styrene strips and pieces.  The top "deck" is made of wood and extends past the brick wall.

Test fit.

All the sections completed so far.. just shoved together. Approximately 22" wide and 8 3/4" high. That leaves me only one inch on either side of the edge of the dio base.

The clock is just above the top floor window. I found the clock face on line, and reduced it to 3/4" diameter. Trimmed out in styrene.

To create more depth, I added another piece of trim around the clock face. Assembled and ready to install.

The center wall can finally receive its two "wing" walls.

All sections will need a sub-roof card and some minimal trim, which is a 2 x 8 and a 2 x 4 topped off with some basswood sheet. Once the diamond shape shingles I'm planning to use overhang this a bit, it will all but disappear.

This structure will need over 20 lights, so I started with a single LED  just above the front door arch, before attaching this section to the front wall. I also want to mount a light sconce on either side of this arch later on (as soon as I can find the ones I already have)...

Till next time...more lighting...
Carl

PaulS

Outstanding Carl !!
And the sections "just shoved together" look most impressive !!   Great to see your plan coming together so well,
Looking forward to the rest of your adventure,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

PRR Modeler

Wow Carl, that is some beautiful scratch building.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looking just beautiful, Carl.

Cheers, Mark.

carl b

Paul, Curt and Mark, thank you for following and your very kind comments!
Carl

Jerry

As usual your posts get better as you move along!

Amazing how everything comes together so perfectly!!

Beautiful work!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

vinceg

Man, that looks good, Carl. I especially like the light in the large archway picture. Looks like lots of warm wavelengths and not too bright. Very nice effect.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

carl b

Thank you so much Jerry, Vince and Greg!
Carl

Opa George

Incredibly beautiful structure coming together, Carl. I'm blown away by your craftsmanship.  This is exciting!
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

Bernd

Carl,

As I was staring at the last picture you posted with the single light in it, I thought that would look nice if it had a hanging light right in the center. I've often seen pictures of such entrances with a chandelier like light in them. Just a thought.

Also when I seen the clock tower it came to me that they make miniature clock faces that could have been used. Here's a link to those small clocks.  https://www.rockler.com/hardware/project-hardware/project-kits/wooden-clock-kits

Just a thought for your next project.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

carl b

George- Thank you for your kind words and continued attention.

Bernd- Thanks for your input- You are right on- I tried to buy/build an appropriate hanging fixture for that spot, but failed.
So I am going to use a couple sconce lights on either side of the arch instead.

I also looked at Rockler as well- but nothing was as small as I needed- 3/4" in diameter.
Carl

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

carl b

Thanks Steve! Appreciate you checking in...
Carl