North Pole Square of The Polar Express

Started by carl b, September 18, 2021, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl b

There is a warm, glowing appearance to Santa's administration building. In the movie and book, all the windows are lit evenly. To achieve this, I first covered all windows with a material called vellum, which feels like plastic, but is an opaque .007" paper product.

Then, to broadly spread the light of pre-wired warm white 0603 LEDS, I built & installed small white boxes to hold and contain some LED's in place. I painted the face of each LED with diluted yellow acrylic paint as well. Each LED/box could illuminate 3 or 6 tightly spaced windows .

Other areas required their own method of installation. The 4 "S" scale windows each needed its own LED, with a white card backer to contain and spread the lighting even further.

In the attic windows, one LED was mounted against the white card. Pushing the card closer or farther away from the windows provided the necessary brightness.

All sections were now ready to receive their solder pads....

I did as much as possible on the flat to prep all the solder pads I'll need. Same technique I've used in the past, with copper tape wrapped around stripwood. Separate "+" and "-" voltage busses.

Mounted onto the appropriate section, then soldered LED wires to the corresponding pad.

Began gluing individual sections to each other.

Till next time...heading to the top......

Carl

S&S RR

Carl

Great work. This project is really coming together nicely. Love the lighting.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PaulS

Carl, great progress,
AND thanks for showing your approach to achieving the effects of a natural, subdued warm glow ....   "I'm beginning to see the light"   ;)
Following along here,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Mark Dalrymple

Terrific, carl.

Looking forwards to a night shot.

Cheers, Mark.

carl b

Thanks very much John, Paul, and Mark!
Appreciate you following the project.

It will be a while before I test all the lighting.
Carl

Jerry

Let there be light!!

Just amazed on how you get all those lights to work. ;)
Great work my friend!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Carl B:

Walls are looking just great so far. Glad to see you added mortar between the bricks. Just love you last photo.

Karl

Opa George

Beautiful work. I don't have enough adjectives to describe how cool this project is.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

carl b

Thank you very much Jerry,  Karl and George!
Carl

carl b

All 7 sections are now glued together. Started working on the rooftops with steep triangular supports for upcoming sub roof cards.

All roof supports are .06" chipboard.

After looking over my finished effort several times, concerning the roof pitch and angles behind the clock, I decided that it just wasn't right. So I obliterated that section with my Dremel mini saw and grudgingly started over. GRRR.

Finally made it to the very top of the clock. I'll need a small finial, so we're now at 13" high.

Sub roof cards are made of .024 " stock, which was the retail backer card from one of my stencils. Started with the front, tack glued in place- then measure the remaining sides.

Beginning the diamond shape shingles, and I'm not using the "pinking scissors" method this time.  Here, a metal cutting die from the "paper crafting" hobby, on loan from the Mrs..

This hand cranked machine rolls the die with a sandwich of thick plastic plates, the die and  brown construction paper stock. The die cuts the paper easily, and it is moved and reinserted several times. She also has a larger electric motor powered version.

I cut the sections apart with scissors to create nearly (300) 3 1/2" long strips. The project took several hours.

Till next time....more roofing...
Carl

GPdemayo

That is one impressive structure Carl.....looking forward to seeing it with the shingles installed.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

vinceg

Man, that is terrific - what a great super-project. Really looking forward to seeing the final result.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Mark Dalrymple

Looking most impressive, Carl.

Cheers, Mark.

carl b

Greg, Vince and Mark, thank you for your encouraging remarks and continued interest!
Carl

deemery

Clever use of the crafting machine!  I look forward to seeing how you finish the shingles.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to