FOS' Pub Crawl Build

Started by ACL1504, September 20, 2021, 06:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 21, 2021, 08:00:50 AM
Looks like a great kit. Of course I'll be following.

Curt,

I appreciate you taking your time to follow along.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Opa George on September 21, 2021, 12:37:46 PM
I'm there. Looks like a fun kit.
--Opa George

George,

I'm happy to be on this one now. Grumpy's Cafe build was as seemingly never ending build.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on September 22, 2021, 08:00:24 AM
I'm here looking in on your latest adventure as well.   ;)

Thanks Butty Bob,

I was going to pass this one on to you but wanted to build it myself.  :-X

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: John B on September 22, 2021, 09:10:56 AM
Tom,

I just got this kit last week; so I be following along alos

John,

Happy to have you along with this one. I've had it for years and have been wanting to get going on it and now here we are!

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Lynnb on September 29, 2021, 11:01:38 AM
This looks like a really nice kit, it's got a great looking exterior.

Lynn,

The FOS Pub Crawl is another winner kit from Doug. I love the different looks of each business.

Fun times ahead.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I forgot to show the nice color photo Doug included in the kit.

It's a nice reference photo.

After getting all the wall parts flat on the bench, I added nail holes. No photo of this as I assume ya'll know what a nail holes on a model looks like.  ???

I have more updates but have over stayed my "spend a few hours in the train shed" allotted time.

Will continued tomorrow.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

You are quite welcome.

Karl

ACL1504

The main structure, four businesses, has a total of 12 wall sections. Most are obvious but a few are interior wall pieces. I numbered each wall section to avoid any wall gluing errors.

This next photo shows the obvious wall pieces.

This next photo shows the rest of the wall sections. Walls 5 and 7 are interchangeable and are also interior walls with the gables above the two side roofs.

Walls 10A, 10b and 3 are specific walls that can't be interchanged and must be used as per the instructions.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All wall sections cut by a laser have a very slight edge angle. Some refer to this as a "kerf". The edges also have a small wood knob where the walls were attached to the carrier sheet.

I slightly and carefully sand the small knobs off and square the edges as best as possible. This is critical if you want your corner trim to fit tight and flush against the wall edge.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

We mostly have high humidity here in Central Florida. So, I tend to review the manufacturer bracing suggestions and decide where I think extra bracing would be beneficial. I did add more bracing to this one.

The next photo shows the kit bracing locations. These were braced as shown.

The next photo shows where I added the extra bracing, marked in red pencil. The vertical lines show the kits bracing suggestions. I doubled the bracing on walls 10a, 10b and 3.  On wall 10c I added a short brace to the center.

Continued in a few. Diet Pepsi time.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Just a little side note here. Four of the walls came on a carrier sheet of bass wood. This piece was left over.

There is enough here to use on another scratch build or if necessary a need arises to replace a smaller piece.

I keep a box of extra wall pieces for this purpose.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After all the bracing was completed and dry, I stained all wall sections with Hunterline Driftwood A&I stain.

Here is something that really frustrates me. The photo below shows five of the wall sections. The two sections on the top and the bottom one are all basswood but the density is different than the two in the middle.

The stain is the same and applied the same with the same soft bristle brush. However, as you can see the darker wall sections didn't absorb the A&I as did the others.

Paint will solve 95% of this but it still gets me.

Done for today.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

craftsmankits

Following along Tom, can't wait to see your progress.  Mark

vinceg

Thanks for the detailed views and comments as you build. I'm enjoying following along.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee