FOS' Pub Crawl Build

Started by ACL1504, September 20, 2021, 06:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I finally have a little time to update the thread.

I decided to build the two bay window subassemblies next. The first bay window I built was the larger of the two. Window parts 13 and 14 are shown below with part 13 on top in the photo. Part 14 is to be glued to the top of part 13.  However, DO NOT GLUE them together yet.

Next I cut parts 21 and 23 from the carrier sheet. Parts 22 are to be glued to the inside of the bay window, part 13.

Continued in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Per Doug's suggestion, I did find it necessary to lightly score the horizontal separation lines on each part of the windows. Do this carefully as you don't want to cut them apart. Lightly scoring them will help in getting a clean sharp bend for the bay window.

I then glued part framed window part to the base of parts 21 as shown.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Both parts 21 were glued to the top and bottom of the framed window section.

NOTE: Parts 21 were glued flush inside of the window.

When dry, part 14 was then glued to the top of part 13.

I used weights to hold the window side in place while the glue dried.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then carefully sanded the top and bottom of the bay window. This also removed the small tabs from the carrier sheet.

Part 23 was then glued to the top of the bay window assembly. NOTE: Be sure this piece is centered over the top.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the photo below, you can see how it looks and is supposed to fit into the front wall opening.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

There is a little "light leak" between the wall and bay window. If you plan to light the interior as I do, this can be fixed, from the inside, with a little glue and then painted flat black.

If you don't light the interior, this won't be an issue.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bruce Oberleitner

Looking Good Tom!  Glad to see you found some more time to return to posting on he forum.

Brucer

;D ;D 8)

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Bay window looks very good, Tom.  Good step-by-step tips as always.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looks just great. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Tom.

You could also add some 6x6" trim to the sides of the opening and glue the bay window to that.  This may prove a better solution.

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on October 11, 2021, 12:24:31 PM
Looking Good Tom!  Glad to see you found some more time to return to posting on he forum.

Brucer

;D ;D 8)

Cousin Brucie,

Thanks, yes, I finally was able to get my legs off the bed and walk around some. My time is the train shed is limited but I'm trying to make the most of it.

Time for a Diet Pepsi.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 11, 2021, 12:44:00 PM
Great job Tom.

Curt,

thank you my friend. It is good to be back even on a limited schedule.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Opa George on October 11, 2021, 01:01:33 PM
Bay window looks very good, Tom.  Good step-by-step tips as always.

--Opa George

George,

Thank you as well. The bay window was a fun little sub assembly. Happy to hear you like the step-by-step.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on October 11, 2021, 02:17:28 PM
Hey Tom:

Looks just great. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks buddy, more pics to follow.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com