FOS' Pub Crawl Build

Started by ACL1504, September 20, 2021, 06:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on October 11, 2021, 03:27:46 PM
Looking good, Tom.

You could also add some 6x6" trim to the sides of the opening and glue the bay window to that.  This may prove a better solution.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

Thank you. I like the addition of the trim on the sides. As it turned out, it is a better solution. More on this later in this u[date.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I've mentioned this in the past but I always make two copies of the kit signs. This way, I'll have some back up and I've even had the opportunity to share with others the extra signs they needed during a build.

The original kit signs are on top.

The black and white sign goes on the right end wall section. This sign is to represent a painted on sign.

I used a small piece of very fine sandpaper (220) to roughen up the sign. I lightly sanded from top to bottom, turned the sign upside down and sanded from the top down. Meaning I sanded the bottom of the sign down towards the top.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also lightly sanded the back of the sign. I finger painted on some white glue and applied the sign to the wall section.

When pressing the sign down, It moved on me and I couldn't move it back. So, yes, the sign was ruined.

After realizing the misfortune, I quickly removed the sign and used a damp sponge to remove the glue from the wall.

I went to my back up sheet of signs and was successful in my second attempt to glue the sign on the wall.

Additional nail holes were added in line with the others. NOT SHOWN HERE.

Continued after grabbing a nice cold one, Diet Pepsi of course.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I wanted to follow up on a suggestion Mark made concerning the light leak around the larger bay window.

He suggested the use of 6x6s to the sides of the opening. As the window is recessed in the wall at the top and bottom, the 6x6s were to big. I used 4x4s instead.

Prior to this addition, I had spray painted the bay window with Polly Scale DTI Cherry Red.

I cut and glued the 4x4s between the top and bottom of the bay window supports and next to the sides of the bay windows.

When dry, I touched up the 4x4s with the Cherry Red paint.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

A perfect solution to an imperfect fit.

Thank you Mark for the suggestion, it worked perfectly.

Tomorrow I'll cover the build of the smaller of the two bay windows.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 12, 2021, 07:41:10 PM
I also lightly sanded the back of the sign. I finger painted on some white glue and applied the sign to the wall section.

When pressing the sign down, It moved on me and I couldn't move it back. So, yes, the sign was ruined.

After realizing the misfortune, I quickly removed the sign and used a damp sponge to remove the glue from the wall.

I went to my back up sheet of signs and was successful in my second attempt to glue the sign on the wall.

Nice save!  And your tip about always making backup signs is well taken. I'll have to start doing that.

I, too, use white glue for my signs, never having gotten good with the double-side tape technique.  To make them more pliable/workable, after thinning, I dip mine in dirty paint brush rinse water, blot off excess, then rub on the white glue with my fingers.  The thinned white glue allows a few more seconds of positioning time.

Admittedly, this is tricky with big signs.

Nice job!
--Opa George

George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

GPdemayo

Great idea for the signs Tom.....good progress.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

vinceg

Tom said: "...Meaning I sanded the bottom of the sign down towards the top."

That hurt my brain to think about first thing in the morning.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

ACL1504

Quote from: Opa George on October 13, 2021, 05:29:12 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on October 12, 2021, 07:41:10 PM

Nice save!  And your tip about always making backup signs is well taken. I'll have to start doing that.

I, too, use white glue for my signs, never having gotten good with the double-side tape technique.  To make them more pliable/workable, after thinning, I dip mine in dirty paint brush rinse water, blot off excess, then rub on the white glue with my fingers.  The thinned white glue allows a few more seconds of positioning time.

Admittedly, this is tricky with big signs.

Nice job!
--Opa George

George,

Thank you. I've never used double sided or transfer tape to add signs to basswood walls. I do prefer the white glue method. More difficult in some way but the result is better in my opinion. Each to his own I guess.

Some of the saved or unused signs can be used as billboard signs also. I used the small sign from Gusano Loco and made a billboard sign to advertise the restaurant.  The sign was to be placed on the upper portion of the right side wall.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on October 13, 2021, 08:40:27 AM
Great idea for the signs Tom.....good progress.  8)

Greg,

Thank you for stopping by and the supportive encouragement.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: vinceg on October 13, 2021, 09:03:56 AM
Tom said: "...Meaning I sanded the bottom of the sign down towards the top."

That hurt my brain to think about first thing in the morning.

Vince,

Thanks for stopping by. It hurt my brain just trying to word it correctly.  ???

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The second smaller bay window was a little more "tricksie" to do. There is only one part of the actual window. There is a lower two part portion which I'll cover in a few.

This smaller bay window is very delicate so use caution and carefully build this one.

Again, it is wise to lightly score over the laser scored vertical lines on each side of the center window. I didn't use much pressure to score these lines but I did go over them several times, lightly.

Also, to area used to bend the window is very small in width. After scoring the vertical lines. I attempted to bend the window. It was still a little to stiff to bend so I once again scored the vertical lines. I then turned the window over and placed a thin metal ruler over the lines.

I then used a #17 Xacto blade and slipped it under the window carefully bending it up, using the metal ruler as a stop.

I folded the other side up in the same manner.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Parts #22 are to be used to glue to the top and bottom of this smaller window. However, after removing them from the sheet, I found they were just a little to short. If I used these pieces, the bay window would not be 90 degrees on the corners.

I needed to make two new pieces of part 22. I used the original parts as a template and made two new ones the correct length. I can't tell you how long they need to be as I used the interior sides of the window as my measuring stick.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Parts 16 and 17 make up the lower portion of the window. Part 16 is to be glued over part 17 as shown below.

NOTE: Part 16 must be carefully glued and centered over part 17 as shown below.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The reason it must be centered it so it fits properly into the window opening. The over hang of  part 16 fits over the front wall as shown below.

Also, notice in the upper portion of the photo my ponce wheel drifted and the holes are now misaligned. Hopefully when the sign is added this won't show.

I then made a test fit of the bay window and the lower portion. It fit perfectly. I then added a small amount of glue to the top of the lower portion and pressed the upper portion against the lower portion of the window.

Time for a Diet Pepsi, back in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com