FOS Caldwell Junction

Started by madharry, October 02, 2021, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

A few years ago I started on the limited edition kit Caldwell Junction. I also scratch-built the follow-up kit the Engine House at Caldwell Junction. Having completed all the main buildings I have decided to try and turn this into an interesting diorama/layout that I can take to exhibitions. When scratching the engine house I reversed the layout of the buildings from the original kit. This now fits in more with the diorama I am planning. The site plan for Caldwell Junction was laid out by Doug on a space measuring 13 inches by 24 inches. I have built two light weight boards measuring 16 inches by 3ft giving me a 6ft run. The original site plan called for east and west bound tracks running through the scene. My thoughts are that these tracks could terminate at the left end at a road with some buildings such a store or pub. All the buildings can be located on the first 3ft wide board. The tracks could then be combined by turnouts on the second board and run into a tunnel to hidden sidings. The terrain at the rear of the buildings will rise into the backscene. Any comments will be much appreciated. Here are some pictures of the initial planning.

Mike

madharry

And some more................
Quote from: madharry on October 02, 2021, 11:28:57 AM
A few years ago I started on the limited edition kit Caldwell Junction. I also scratch-built the follow-up kit the Engine House at Caldwell Junction. Having completed all the main buildings I have decided to try and turn this into an interesting diorama/layout that I can take to exhibitions. When scratching the engine house I reversed the layout of the buildings from the original kit. This now fits in more with the diorama I am planning. The site plan for Caldwell Junction was laid out by Doug on a space measuring 13 inches by 24 inches. I have built two light weight boards measuring 16 inches by 3ft giving me a 6ft run. The original site plan called for east and west bound tracks running through the scene. My thoughts are that these tracks could terminate at the left end at a road with some buildings such a store or pub. All the buildings can be located on the first 3ft wide board. The tracks could then be combined by turnouts on the second board and run into a tunnel to hidden sidings. The terrain at the rear of the buildings will rise into the backscene. Any comments will be much appreciated. Here are some pictures of the initial planning.

Mike

madharry

And some more..............
Mike

PRR Modeler

Very nice group of buildings Mike.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

Looking good Mike , and nice to see you posting again.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on October 02, 2021, 06:04:07 PM

I agree, looking good and welcome back.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Great to see you posting again Mike.....i assume the new house has been keeping you busy.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 02, 2021, 02:56:10 PM
Very nice group of buildings Mike.
Thanks Curt, I got tired of them just sitting on a shelf. I'm looking forward to building the small layout.
Mike

madharry

Thanks Jan, life has busy of late with the new house and vouluntary job. The Lewis and Max show is exciting!
Mike

madharry

Quote from: S&S RR on October 02, 2021, 07:39:13 PM

I agree, looking good and welcome back.
Thanks John. It is nice to be able to plan a new layout.
Mike

madharry

Quote from: GPdemayo on October 03, 2021, 09:08:18 AM
Great to see you posting again Mike.....i assume the new house has been keeping you busy.  ;)
Hi Greg. Thanks buddy. The house has kept us very busy with lots of improvements and upgrades to make. We has getting there slowly though.The voluntary job on the restored steam railway takes up two days a week as well, so less time for modelling.
Mike

madharry

Continuing.............the good news I thought my boards measured 6 foot. The great news they actually measure 8 foot, so more room for railways.............Result!
Mike

ACL1504

Mike,

Great job, very well done.

I have this one on the A&S RR. Reading Bob built mine - we traded an unbuilt one for the built one.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

madharry

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 03, 2021, 10:46:40 AM
Mike,

Great job, very well done.

I have this one on the A&S RR. Reading Bob built mine - we traded an unbuilt one for the built one.

Tom  ;D
Thanks Tom.I hope your health will improve my friend.All the best.Mike

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

Looks just beautiful.

Karl