Hollis Pest Control [diorama]

Started by Keep It Rusty, October 14, 2021, 08:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

Opa George

Craig,
Great work and a huge amount of inspiration for us all. I get lost in the details and am having a ball zooming in close to find all the neat little bits you added.
Thanks for posting!
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

ACL1504

Craig,

I'm speechless every time I look at your last three builds. The quality of the craftmanship and attention to detail is wonderful.

I'm sure the next build will be just as fantastic.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

George, Tom —

Thank you for your kind words and comments. This community gives so much to me, it's always a pleasure to give back!

fbernard65

Rusty,

Such an amazing build and diorama.  Love all of the different elevations.  Great job as usual.

Frank

Keep It Rusty

Really appreciate your support, Frank. Thrilled you like it!

GPdemayo

The details in your scene on the link are amazing.....well done Craig.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

John B

Craig,

Wow, the diorama is outstanding.  Great detail and craftsmanship.  My eye keeps going to the blue that you used on the building.  I've never used a vibrant blue like that in any of my builds.  Can you tell me what blue did you use for this?

Keep It Rusty

Greg — thank you for checking out the link (certainly lots more photos there!). Really appreciate your kind words!

John — thank you! That's very kind. I tend to weather somewhat heavily, so I knew going in I'd have to use some bold colors to cut through. I'm pleased to hear how that's working for you! I used my paints from Monument Hobbies to paint this diorama. That specific blue can be found here: https://monumenthobbies.com/products/pro-acryl-dark-grey-blue?variant=38070489809069

deemery

I'm not familiar with the Monument paint.  How does it compare to other acrylic brands?   Do you usually airbrush or paintbrush?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: deemery on October 16, 2021, 11:22:50 AM
I'm not familiar with the Monument paint.  How does it compare to other acrylic brands?   Do you usually airbrush or paintbrush?

dave

It's a line that I discovered a few years ago and have stuck with because of the generous sized bottles and stellar coverage (high pigment counts for the win!). These are brush paints, so they will need thinning for the airbrush (well, all paints need to be thinned for any application, frankly!)

One thing that I enjoy is the various sets that can be purchased.

deemery

I like you can get a break by building your own sets.  What do you use to thin for airbrushing?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

I also only use their brushes -- both sable and synthetic.

For airbrush thinning I use a drop or two of water and a drop or two of flow improver. I mix everything directly in the airbrush cup.

pbltrains

Craig,

Another wonderful job on Hollis.  I love the different elevations and the overall rundown look of the structure.

I received my Flux Mill kit yesterday from KC's Workshop and will start it sometime soon.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Seth P.
Minnesota

Keep It Rusty

Seth — I'm so excited you have your Flux Mill kit! I cannot wait to see your results. Please do share when you ready. Funnily enough, I'm based in MN — so from my bench to yours, it hasn't traveled too far!

Thank you for your kind words, too!