Builders in Scale Sassen Vinegar Works - not really

Started by Oldguy, November 02, 2021, 09:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on November 21, 2021, 11:07:19 PM
Looking good, Bob.

I agree with your decision to remake those sliders.  I do mine on low take painters tape, stuck sticky side up on my workbench.  I put the 6x1" (or 8x1") boards with slight gaps between them.  After gluing on the 4x1" framing and cross braces on you can remove the tape.  As I discovered, when you light the inside you get lovely very prototypical shafts of light shining through the gaps in the doors.

Photo towards the bottom of page 21.
http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4484.300

Cheers, Mark.
How in the  . . . .  did I miss that photo?  I'll have to remember that.  Currently the doors will just sit on the walls, thus the one sided approach.  But for doors being a bit open, those look really good.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Walls looks great so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Oldguy

Spent a bit of time to make my own sliding doors.  Basically, it was a simple matter of copying the kit doors, but thinner.   I was able to use slightly different materials for the sliding door brackets.

The plan was to make and install the three sliders before attaching the building to the base.  But,  . . . there is to be a 2x6 wood loading dock deck, so I need to add the building first, then I can add the doors.

The main building wound up being three sub assemblies. And a quick check of alignment, using the roof card, showed a problem with the building.  Not so sure how, it could be that far off, using all precut wall sections.  Oh well.  At least there is a second floor car that I wasn't going to use.  I'll just need to make a template and cut it out for the roof.

With the building glued in place, I added the wood for the loading docks.  The vertical pencil line is the center line of the single set of sliding doors.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

While waiting for the building-to-base glue to set, I gave some attention to what was to be a scale house, but will be an attached office/scale house on the new elevator section.
The kit include a bunch of office furniture which may be used here.
The original office layout included space that was to be under construction.  The scale house is small. only 5.2 cm deep.  Luckily, BiS B&B siding is a match to some that I have on hand.  So I'll just scab on a new section on each side to lengthen it. 

The scale was made on top of a copy of the template, mainly to hold the cross way 2x8 boards to the frame.  The kit includes a hatch which is perfect for apples, not so much for grain.  I'll make a set of bars across where the hatch would be located for grain unloading. 

I did a quick look to how the elevator portion will look.  It will have a rock foundation and perhaps corrugated metal siding.  I will use the clerestory portion from the original vat house.  Except after looking at it, I need to double it's width.  It's a bit on the skinny side now.  The kit included a roof deck access bit, that I'll add to the end of clerestory.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Nice progress on this kit, Bob. I like your variations--adds lots of interest.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

PRR Modeler

Looks great so far. Strange about the roof because everything looks square.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

To fix the roof card, I placed the original in place and went around the edges with Post-it notes.  This gave me an almost exact template to follow.  The replacement deck was cit from material provided for a second floor card.

I found a short piece of matching B&B material and gave it a bath if A&I.  Then it was a matter of taping the scale house walls together to get an idea of how it would look.  Because it is small, I wanted to lengthen it a bit.  Nope don't like it.  I was at a seed mill and they had a plant office attached to a side.  Move some parts around to get a better visual, and yeah.  I like this orientation better.  It means that it'll have to be scratch built, but I like how this looks.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Slowly taking shape.  First shot is of the "road side" with the new office section and a visual of the head house.  I did spend a bit of time on adding an interior of the scale bay.  No real reason and the areas would be hard to see, but I know it's there.
Was using Micro-Marks new corner post material and thought that I was messing them up some how.  Well, that might be true, however the 1/16" material is not reversible.  If you look closely, the left hand corner is recessed from the material face whereas the right side is even.  The profile is off a bit.  One must pick an orientation and stick to it.  Since this will be covered with metal, it really doesn't matter, although this could affect overall lengths.

I do like Monster Model Works brick and block sheets and I found using the Mt Albert sander a real boon in achieving decent corners.  Simple matter of setting up for a 45 degree sand and use a machinist's block to keep the material vertical.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

As I mentioned, I am going to cover the left hand building with corrugated aluminum sheet.  I had a large inventory when I move and it is slowly going down.  I guess I shouldn't have been all that surprised to learn that replacement stock cost raised a bit over time.  My old stock had a $1.35 price tag and for the same quantity it is now $9.35. 

I read where it was recommended to use a primer enchant spray paint.  So I got some in gray, but looks a bit gray-green.  But it does offer some tooth and harder to remove.

I did a bit of testing with paint, titanium white powder, and white Pan Pastels.  I'll stick with the paint as a base cost.  I'll be painting the entire material length and then cutting them into 2" widths.  I can see where kit manufacturers take into account wall heights and roof depths in order to get the best and most economical use of material.  I haven't.  Sigh.

So here is where I am at.  I have the head house built up and windows opening cut out.  And everything just sitting together.    Next up is making roof decking.

I should mention that I am using a 1/16" plywood material.  I cuts decently.  But has some delaminating issues here and there where cuts occur close to an edge like in the head house.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

Oldguy

I guess it is typical for me; one step forward and two steps back.  I spent some amount of time looking at lighting the building.  A bit late.  Heck, way too late. but I'll give it a shot.  I made up a second floor card since I used the one provided for the roof.  It took a bunch of fiddling since I braced the heck out of the structure.  I didn't paint the inside for lighting, but that shouldn't be such a big deal, but then it occurred to me that the walls had a bunch of vertical joints and these would leak light like crazy.  Oh well, Maybe light just the office.

I started to add the siding, but first needed to add some vertical guidelines to add in their placement.  Then a quick look at how everything is coming together.  Then another look with a interior stairway.

To continue with the siding, I need to get the office section attached.  I found some old wall paper from Sierra Railroad products and got it attached to all walls.  Then get the office furniture made and painted.  I did the same for the cheap figures that'll be used.
Now it is a matter of finishing and installing the ceiling and then I can add the office portion to the storage building.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

Mark Dalrymple

Lots of progress, Bob!

Things are really taking shape nicely.  The doors came up well.  I like that technique of painting and weathering the stripwood and then assembling the doors.  Using two colours you can achieve a very convincing paintjob.  Your corrugated iron in white looks very good, too.  Some nice interior detail - worth the extra effort.  It sounds like these old BIS kits come with a good amount of details.  I have the Silverado mine tucked away for a future build.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Bob

I just got caught up with your thread - great modeling - love the repurposing of the structure.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad