The house I grew up in

Started by bparrish, November 03, 2021, 02:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Looking forward to seeing the finished project,  Bob.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

bparrish

Thank you all....   

I finished the color on the brick last night but I can't get the gallery to take photos this morning.

So I'll wait a while and see if it changes its mind.

Thanx  all

Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

bparrish

So here are some shots of the brick work done.  It needs some clean up but it is mostly there.

There are five different layers of paint.    First I shot the whole thing with flat grey (cheap) primer.  Second was a layer of medium tan Polly S.  Then I change medium.  That is code for different kind of paint.  Many paints are a solvent for themselves.  If you go back and forth between acrylic and distillate base you won't plow up the previous.  Distillates are worse for this than acrylics.

Third was another layer of distillate that was sort of a maroon.  Then another layer of acrylic that was pretty orange.  Then finally a distillate that was REALLY maroon and pretty dark at that.

All of the coats after blasting it with the spray primer were dry brushed in various directions.  It gives a great multi colored appearance that really does not come well in the photos.   But here it is.

PRR Modeler

Excellent coloring and build Bob.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

So I got some bench time before we leave in the morning to go see that grand kids in Portland'

Here are two photos of the ground floor with the windows installed.  These are the easy ones as the interior will not be seen so I could put glass behind and simply press the windows into the openings and secure them with a dot of superglue in each corner. 

The second floor will not be so easy.    I'll need to cut the glass exactly to the window size and put the entire unit in as one piece.  Then I can case out the windows from the inside with stained strip wood.

So for now.

And another.

Back in a few days...

Janbouli

So impressive , the house itself but especially your building it.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Excellent looking brick building.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Bob

Beautiful work - have fun with the Grandkids!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Oldguy

Such a masterful job, Bob.

We lived in a very similar looking building for several years, except ours was a four-plex and we lived in the upper right section.  My bedroom was the back porch off the kitchen.  Not fun during the Midwest winters, but delightful during the summers.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Bruce Oberleitner

Dang Bob!  Another fine model.  Very Very Cool.

;D ;D 8)

bparrish

Bruce.....

Now I need to figure out where to put it on the railroad.  Using forced perspective in a lot of areas it tends to look bigger than most structures in possible locations.   What a problem huh....!?!!?!?!?!?

Thanx for looking in

Bob

NKP768

Zephyrus52246

Just keeps looking better and better.  Nice brick coloring.

Jeff

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

This project is looking just great. I just can't wait to see more. I just love how you've assembled the walls to look like your house.

Karl

bparrish

So I got the windows in this week.  There are some adjustments still out there but it's coming together.

This brick stuff from Monster is great.

Now on to the interior..........