Builders in Scale Weiry & Sons Drilling

Started by SteveCuster, November 18, 2021, 09:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Thanks Jerry, I really appreciate it!

I made a bit more progress last night...

I added the windows, acetate, the blinds and some corner trim.

These kits have a good way of guiding the cutting of the acetate to the correct size by providing a scale template for all the windows. I taped the acetate over the template and cut them out with a #11 and a ruler.

I started gluing the wall sections together.

I added the green trim to the front wall and glued it in place also.

Everything is coming together pretty good so far. I'm anticipating some challenges with the roof and the clerestory between the front wall and the taller mid wall.

Now that the walls are mostly together it should start to get a bit more interesting.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

Keep It Rusty

Loving the progress, Steve. I don't have this kit, so I'm interested seeing how it goes together.

I'm mid-stream on a scratchbuild and only just realized I'm not doing a build thread for it. Doh!

SteveCuster

Thanks Craig! I try to do a build thread on the less common kits but it does hinder my progress a bit and I have a hard time remembering to take photos as I go. Sometimes I get in the zone and I don't even think of it.

I'd recommend any of these limited BIS kits. They can be had for pretty cheap (I think I paid around $60 for this one) and the kit is really excellent. It's unfortunate that BIS didn't make too many kits that work for my layout or I'd grab more.
Steve Custer

Oldguy

Looking good.  I think you'll find that Jim used Northeastern Scale lumber in his kits.  At least the clapboard is a perfect match.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

The build is looking really good. The grey is a great color and the green goes well with it.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

SteveCuster

Thanks guys!

Moving along yesterday...

I glued the clerestory between the 2 front wall sections. This assembly would've been much easier if it had spacers between the 2 walls to keep everything even both top and bottom and side to side. I used the roof cards to check my positioning.

The instructions would have you cut all the roof cards into 2 pieces and glue them between a piece of 1/16 sq wood. I'd much rather score and fold than try to line everything up and fight it that way. If I didn't cut this card and use the wood spacer at the peak I wouldn't have had enough overhang for the rafter tails so I ended up making my own roof card just a little bit wider.

Here is the card I made glued into place.

I glued both the side roof cards and started the rafter tails.

That's where I finished last night, tonight I hope to get all the rafter tails in place and start to work on the large vertical supports for the roof overhang on the back section.

Steve Custer

Jerry

Steve really coming along.  Fantastic work!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

I really like the look of that rounded false-front end.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

Oldguy

Looking really nice.  I never thought much of the 1/16" ridge beams.  I like using my bracing material, cut to the same length as the bottom measurement to aid in ensuring my end walls are more vertical than not.  The more I see, the more I like this kit.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

George, that was one of the features that drew me to the kit. Gives it a real unique feel.

Bob, That's typically how I approach it as well. Measure the bottom and make the ridge brace match to pull the walls in or push them out. I didn't on this one because I was afraid it would interfere with the roof itself since its pretty small.
Steve Custer

Rail and Tie

What a cool building and very clean build of it.  I hope you are resisting gluing the pointy egg, detail cap thingies that go on top of the front corner columns until last.  I have a tendency to want to glue them on early in the build to see what they look like as a great little feature and then later in the build..."Ting!"... as I break them off muttering to myself that I should have waited until the end of the build!

Nice color choices as well.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

SteveCuster

Thanks Darryl, I also have a tendency to add the more fragile pieces too early and I break them off a dozen times before I'm finished. My plan is to try to wait to all any of the fragile bits until after I glue it down. The rear roof has a decent overhang support by large beams that looks perfect for breaking off a few times too.

I glued the rear roof card in place. The overhang gets supported by some trusses and beams, looks very fragile.

I made all 3 trusses and let them dry last night.

I also put together the rest of the supports but I didn't take a picture of it last night.

Next step will be gluing the trusses under the overhang and shingling the roofs. Then I may end up gluing it down so I can start adding the more fragile pieces.

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Wow!!! it's coming along very nicely.

Karl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

craftsmankits

Hi Steve,

I was unaware of this offering by Builders in Scale.  Love what you're doing with it.  Thanks for the updates.  I'll be following along.

Mark