FOS Red Bird Taxi -2022 Build Challenge

Started by ACL1504, December 09, 2021, 05:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Opa George on December 10, 2021, 07:24:02 AM
I'm on board, too.   
--Opa George

George,

Welcome to the adventure. It will be fun to build.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on December 10, 2021, 07:54:04 AM
You know I'm following along as well!   :)

This will be another fine addition to town.

Big Lou's was the first of many FOS kits I've built over the years.  I got mine from Doug though.  Maybe yours is still under the layout?  If so, I highly recommend it.  It's a great kit.

Bob,

Thanks for jumping on the wagon. I thought I gave you mine so many it is still in the "kit tomb" under the layout.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 10, 2021, 08:16:14 AM
Neat kit and perfect for that area of Tahope.....you know I'll be looking in.  :)

Greg,

Tahope needs a taxi service even though it is a one or two car fleet. Happy to have you along.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on December 10, 2021, 11:15:40 AM
Tom,
Neat blast from the past building and we can all use a free taxi ride...will follow along.
Tommy

Tommy,

This is a neat and great little kit with lots going on around the structures. Glad you jumped on.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Raymo on December 11, 2021, 07:50:12 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on December 09, 2021, 05:25:12 PM
I'm starting my 2022 build challenge early as I won't be available the first few months of next year. I hope Dan doesn't mind.

I'm building FOS Scale Models Red Bird Taxi & Auto Repair. This is kit # 20 and the second kit released by Doug. The kit came out some time in  late 2002 or early 2003.

Go right ahead Tom and start! I need to get my fingers out of my butt and get the ball rolling for the New Years Challenge.

Dan,

Thank you for letting me get going on this one. I plan to have it finished by January 6, 2022.

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on December 11, 2021, 03:28:19 PM

Tom

Great to see you getting things started.  I will be following along.

John,

I wanted to get one more build in prior to surgery. I won't be able to play for the first couple months of next year so this is my winter challenge.

Glad you came by and joined the fun.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Dave Emery asked if my plans were to change the look of the kit or keep it "stock". I'll answer his question as follows. My plan is to build this one "stock" out of the box. I want it finished prior to the January 6, 2022 surgery. However, my plan is to kit bash the taxi office after my recovery.

The new look will have the main office a bit wider, longer and have a second story. I've made measurements and will cut the walls in the coming week but for now I'll follow the instructions.

Today I cleaned the metal casting, the resin casting, doors and windows. These will all be primed tomorrow.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm changing things up on this build. My plan is to build one structure at a time.  I'll finish the taxi/dispatch office prior to moving on to the garage, tire shed and repair office.

I added nail holes to the four wall and cut the 8X8s for bracing. The bracing was glued in place and set aside to dry. I used weights to hold the bracing while the glue dried.

Done for today.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

It'll be fun to watch how you treat the stock and the custom parts...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on December 12, 2021, 10:06:27 AM
It'll be fun to watch how you treat the stock and the custom parts...

dave

Dave,

I have a few ideas in mind and I will make a couple of minor additions to the main office.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After the bracing glue dried, I used an Xacto blade to score the siding. I then applied a light coat of Hunterline Driftwood A&I - set the walls aside to dry overnight.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

You're moving right along. Keep the photos flowing.

Karl

ACL1504

I'm skipping a few steps here. The walls were stained with Floquil Mud and thinner. The door and windows were painted with Floquil Boxcar Red. The trim was stained first with Hunterline Driftwood and then painted with a very then wash of the boxcar red.

When dry, I glued the two opposing corners together making sure they were square.

I then glued these two wall sections together making sure they were square and level.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com