Flotation mine 2022 build challenge

Started by Mark Dalrymple, December 29, 2021, 08:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well, we are having our next modelling get together early in January, and as I need to get a project ready for this - I thought 'what better than the new challenge scratchbuild?'  For this I will be attempting to build a model based on an article in the Jan and Feb issues of the 1964 railroad Model Craftsman.  You can find a heap of info here, including a link to the plans and a small picture on the cover of the Feb 1964 magazine.  Thank you so much for all that helped with this.   
Quotehttp://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6163.0

My model will also be based on two photos that appeared a decade later (I'll put up the magazine issue when I locate it - I have photocopies in a folder to work from) from when Jock Oliphant built his own version of the mine from these plans.  Jock's version differed in several ways, most notably with the addition of a barn over the lower tracks.

The plans were pretty good, but quite complex.  They did not feature a floor plan - which they really needed!  It took quite a bit of study and head scratching to work on exactly what was going on in places.  I drew my own floor plan, blew the elevations up to 200% and then went about building a mock-up.  For this model I felt this was REALY necessary.  I would have made several mistakes on expensive modeling materials (rather than cereal boxes) otherwise - I still might!  This mock-up took some considerable time to build and so I would estimate it will take in excess of 150 hours to build the actual model - not including the headframe.

I used plastic irrigation pipe I found lying under our pine hedge to cut the circles for the three flotation baths.  This pipe was exactly the same diameter as that used in the plans (nice fluke).  I used mu hand mitre saw to make the cuts.  If you check out the photo on the cover of the magazine in the link above you will see these baths are suspended on frames of differing heights and there are decks protruding half way across them from the small gables rooms. These make quite a dramatic scene.

Next up will be to mock in a bit of scenery and add a couple more details - a copula and two stacks.  Then I will need to choose cladding materials, doors and windows, roofing materials, stripwood and colours.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Mark, Cheers,

This is quite a complex mine and will be a challenge to scratch build as well. This will be an exciting build and one I'm excited to follow.

It will be fantastic.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

I am really looking forward to see you scratch build the mine Mark. It's going to be a real focal point when finished on the layout.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

This build will keep you out of trouble for bit.....I'll enjoy watching this beauty come together Mark.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

It's great when you find something is "pre-cut to the right size" :-)  I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.  Those concrete tanks are a signature element that remain when the rest of the mill is long gone...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Bernd

Hi Mark,

I'll be following this project with great interest. I already learned something from your first post. I need to eat more cereal.  ;D

I received the two magazines on Dec. 29 just as advertised by the tracking number. If you have any questions on a certain area of the magazine I can scan it.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

KARL

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteThis is quite a complex mine and will be a challenge to scratch build as well. This will be an exciting build and one I'm excited to follow.

It will be fantastic.

Thanks very much, Tom.

Yes - it is pretty complex.  Especially all the timberwork involved in the tall bases for the baths. There are also a number of aerial walkways, sets of stairs, and a fairly sizeable water tower that Jock added to the model.  I'm not yet sure how I will bring raw material into the plant - there are a number of ways to do this.  One of the books I have out of the library at the moment features an aerial cableway which looks pretty cool and would be a fun build.  I do have a number of mines to build for Shadowlands, so this feature could be used elsewhere.  The more I have thought about it the more I have pushed the idea of logging and timber mills aside in favour of more mining.  The structures appeal more with their 'tumbling down the hillside' look, but also lend themselves more for selective compression.  Of course it is also possible to hide mainline track underneath.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI am really looking forward to see you scratch build the mine Mark. It's going to be a real focal point when finished on the layout.

Thanks, Curt.

It sure will be!  Such a great model.  I've had that picture of Jock Oliphant's model in my inspiration folder for decades.  I'm not exactly sure where it will go in Shadowlands yet.  I have a couple of turnaround loops at each end of the mainline run, and the middle of these is the most probable location.  I have the Sheepscot Limeworks as a definite for one of these loops.  I'm also considering a position along the reverse side of the backwall of Tellynott - quite a narrow spot that would need hidden mainline underneath - but potentially doable.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Quotehis build will keep you out of trouble for bit.....I'll enjoy watching this beauty come together Mark.  :)

Thanks, Gregory.

Yes - definitely!  I'm guessing I put 20 hours of work into the mock-up.  If that is 10% of the build time I'm looking at 180 hours plus.  I'll certainly be pushing it to be finished by April - but for me, that's not the point.  These challenges just get me so motivated.

We also have our Easter convention (postponed from 2020) scheduled for this year.  For this I am on the layout tour and giving a talk - so there will be a fair bit of work around this.  Of course it is all touch and go on whether things will go ahead or not.  We are so lucky we can share this great hobby virtually!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteIt's great when you find something is "pre-cut to the right size" :-)  I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.  Those concrete tanks are a signature element that remain when the rest of the mill is long gone...

Thanks, Dave.

Yes - always nice.  I did try a couple of other things first - but the pipe was ideal.  Not only was it exactly the right size, but it was also no use for anything else.  I only kept it for irrigation ducting.

I have some great photos of some long abandoned NZ industries where concrete footings are all that is left.  Wilsons cement works is one of my favourites.  I'm hoping to find room in Shadowlands for this, also.  It fits in nicely with the mining and limeworks theme.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI'll be following this project with great interest. I already learned something from your first post. I need to eat more cereal.  ;D

I received the two magazines on Dec. 29 just as advertised by the tracking number. If you have any questions on a certain area of the magazine I can scan it.

Thanks, Bernd.

I started keeping all my cereal boxes from the last time I went to build a mock-up.  It was Steam Era structures Layflatte Linoleum works and it used a lot of cardboard!  I ended up having to pull all my plastic box inners out of the cereal to get enough cardboard.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteLooking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Thanks, Karl.

Its great to have you along for the journey.  It should be a lot of fun.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

A bit of progress to report as I ready myself for the two days of modelling starting tomorrow (Monday).

Whilst carrying on in mock-up mode I went about trying a quick base for the stack.  I have cut a piece of 11mm styrene pipe for the stack and used a small measuring cup to make a plaster base for it.

Photo 1 - shows the cup cut in two and the plaster poured in the bottom section.

Photo 2 - I sorted all my windows and doors and prepared them all.  Here they are after a wash and rinse, drying.  I gave myself a few choices by doing a couple of extra doors and windows.  I hope to get these primed this afternoon.

Photo 3 - shows all the stripwood after its leather dye and alcohol bath.  Lots here - but I'm bound to run out!  2"x2", 4"x2", 4"x4", 6"x2, 6"x6", 8"x2", 10"x8", 12"x3", 12"x4", 12"x12" and two stringers.  I also weathered up some cladding with my usual ingredients - Golden Titan buff followed by some splodges in browns and greys smeared in while the Titan buff was still wet and then a wash with leather dye and alcohol.  I did some board and batten, some shiplap and some V-groove.  Its about now I am realising how much work will be involved in this...

More soon, cheers, Mark.