FSM Kit #210 - Icing Platform - 2022 Build Challenge (1)

Started by S&S RR, January 02, 2022, 09:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This is my official start to the 2022 Build Challenge.  This is the first of two threads for the two builds I plan on doing for the challenge this year.  This first kit is the FSM Kit #210 - Icing Platform. Box opening pictures to follow.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The traditional box opening pictures.  Yes - the directions are a little yellowed on this one and the rubber bands have to be cleaned off the strip wood. It has been a few years since George boxed this one.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have the gator board base all cut and ready to go on my layout when this build is finished.

John Siekirk

Zephyrus52246

The icing platform is the first FSM kit I purchased.  I had gotten "reinterested" in model railroading a year before (the Wilfred Brambell FSM kit ad just blew me away).  This kit was "affordable" at only $29.  Brambell's was $150, too much for someone still in Med School.  I've not built the kit, but will watch your build with interest.

Jeff

GPdemayo

Looking forward to your build John.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

I'm following along too.  I built this one a long time ago.  Too long ago to admit.  It's a lot of fun (no surprise there, it is an FSM kit after all). 

The only thing I'd suggest doing differently is to not follow the instructions when it comes to the blocks of 'ice' and, if I recall correctly, coating them with 5 minutes epoxy.  Where I to do it again I think I'd try something like Mod Podge.  The epoxy doesn't look bad but over the years it can change color slightly.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 04, 2022, 07:27:45 AM
The icing platform is the first FSM kit I purchased.  I had gotten "reinterested" in model railroading a year before (the Wilfred Brambell FSM kit ad just blew me away).  This kit was "affordable" at only $29.  Brambell's was $150, too much for someone still in Med School.  I've not built the kit, but will watch your build with interest.

Jeff

Jeff

I remember the college days when $29 dollars was too much.  I have suppressed the memory of what I ended up paying for Brambell's when I finally could afford to buy it and build it. I have a few add on details planned for this kit built based on some pictures that "the Judge" posted, if I can make them work.  Stay tuned.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 04, 2022, 07:59:11 AM
Looking forward to your build John.....I'll be looking in.  :)

Greg

Thank you for joining our journey.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 04, 2022, 10:50:05 AM
I'm following along too.  I built this one a long time ago.  Too long ago to admit.  It's a lot of fun (no surprise there, it is an FSM kit after all). 

The only thing I'd suggest doing differently is to not follow the instructions when it comes to the blocks of 'ice' and, if I recall correctly, coating them with 5 minutes epoxy.  Where I to do it again I think I'd try something like Mod Podge.  The epoxy doesn't look bad but over the years it can change color slightly.

Bob

Thank you for following along and the build tip.  I will take a look at the options when I get there.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Built that one some time ago. Great kit enjoy.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 04, 2022, 06:01:48 PM
Hey John:

Built that one some time ago. Great kit enjoy.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a couple photographs of the location where the ice platform will go on my layout.

Foreground in this first picture.

Here is the general area. The ice platform will be right in the center of this picture.

John Siekirk

restocarp

I really like this kit and hope to acquire and build it some day. I also like the small shed and auxiliary platform that George added the the end of his model on the F&SM.

I am looking forward to watching your build.
Matt