FSM Kit #210 - Icing Platform - 2022 Build Challenge (1)

Started by S&S RR, January 02, 2022, 09:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 24, 2022, 05:35:47 PM
So many sticks in that box.   ;D  Were all the parts hand cut on a saw?  I thought they were stamped out on some kind of machine.

Jeff

Jeff

Yes, George cut every one of those little pieces with a table saw and a special saw blade.  He showed me the saw and blade one time when I was there.  These were the days when the craftsman kits were made by hand by a craftsman. Every time I build one of these kits I wonder how much George made per hour on these kits. He worked hard for his money. I'm not sure which kit was the first to be cut with a laser.  Good question to ask George next time I talk to him. In our discussion a few weeks ago Campbell kits were mentioned. I'm not sure how they were manufactured but I will pull out one of the boxes I have under the layout and take a look.  It is very easy to tell by looking at the cut edge. Stay tuned for a report, tomorrow.
John Siekirk

deemery

I believe Campbell and similar vintage wood kits were cut with a die.  I don't know if it was one die for each piece/side, or if there were multiple impressions (one for each door/window opening.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Oldguy

Quote from: deemery on January 24, 2022, 06:53:53 PM
I believe Campbell and similar vintage wood kits were cut with a die.  I don't know if it was one die for each piece/side, or if there were multiple impressions (one for each door/window opening.)

dave
You are correct, they were die cut.  But not all the way through.  Just enough to show the builder where to cut.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

hey John:

looks like you got it started. Will be following along.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 25, 2022, 05:19:20 PM
hey John:

looks like you got it started. Will be following along.

Karl

Karl

Yup, we have glue on some of the sticks. Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some progress on this build, today.  First, I continued with the application of the bracing to the clapboard pieces (I will post a picture when all the bracing is in place). Second, I did a test paint of a small piece of scrap clapboard ( I used one of the cutouts from the door openings). I decided to go with a light yellow soft pastel chalk over a Hunterline driftwood stain. Here are a few pictures that describe the process. 

First the driftwood stain.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

After the stain was dry. I added multiple coats of the soft pastel chalk mixed with alcohol. I made the test sample with as heavy of a coat of the chalk that I plan on using. When I do the walls for the kit I will vary the amount of plaster from very light with the driftwood stain showing through to about as heavy as you see on this sample. I simple scrape some chalk off the stick on to my glass plate, add the alcohol. and apply the mixture with a paint brush.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

For the trim color I chose a dark red/brown called Mahogany.

The final step was to take the sample to the layout and see what it looked like surrounded by the other structures in the area and the scenery.

At this point I like it, and it will probably be the final choice but I'm going to let the sample sit there for a couple days until the rest of the clapboard is ready to be painted.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The third activity on this build for today was some research on icing platforms, ice houses, and the cold storage business before electricity and refrigeration. I have a few pictures to post and have decided to do some kit bashing to add more details to this build.  For tonight, it is getting late and the pictures and a description of my plans will wait for tomorrow.
John Siekirk

PaulS

Sometimes the planning phase is as much fun as the actual build !!
Love your approach John, and like you, I often build a structure multiple times in my head while jotting down 'build' notes before any glue or paint hits the actual model.
Looking forward to see what you come up with for this classic kit and how it comes together !!
All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

S&S RR

Quote from: PaulS on January 26, 2022, 09:12:35 AM
Sometimes the planning phase is as much fun as the actual build !!
Love your approach John, and like you, I often build a structure multiple times in my head while jotting down 'build' notes before any glue or paint hits the actual model.
Looking forward to see what you come up with for this classic kit and how it comes together !!
All the best,
--Paul

Paul

Thank you for following along.  I do enjoy the planning and research phase as much as the build. I like what George did with his additions of the belt and opposite end shed (see the pictures that Matt posted on page 1).  Based on the prototype pictures that I found on the internet I have a couple more details that I'm going to try to add. As always, stay tuned.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some more progress on this build today.  The clapboard walls that come with the kit have all been braced and I started adding the door castings and preparing them for staining. Yes, there will be nail heads. i will probably be adding some walls once I get the design additions figured out.

I also my work area ready for the build and kit bashing that I plan on doing. Directly behind me the directions are hanging on a bar for quick reference.

I also hung up some of the pictures I collect from my internet research on ice platforms.  Basically, some pictures of features that I would like to add if I can make them work. You will also see the pictures of Georges build with additional shed and conveyor belt.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?