FSM Kit #210 - Icing Platform - 2022 Build Challenge (1)

Started by S&S RR, January 02, 2022, 09:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 27, 2022, 08:08:36 PM
Making good progress John.

Curt

Thank you, I'm putting a lot of time in on the changes I want to make.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some more progress on this build today. The walls were prepared for assembly. Complete with door castings, corner trim, and nail heads.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I then stained the walls with Hunterline Driftwood stain.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Then the soft pastel chalk was added.  This give the walls that chalky, needed repainting for years, look.  I started with one coat of chalk applied with alcohol. I will add to this if necessary after the building is together and on the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of all the walls as they were drying.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, for today, the walls started going together.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also, just before I started the gluing of the assemblies, made a quick template of the roof line. I think there will be some roof rafter production in my future.  Stay tuned.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also spent some time looking at the prototype pictures and trying to decide what I wanted to do with adding some additional detail to this structure.

I have already decided to add the hinged gates and roof on part of the platform as shown in this picture.

Does anyone have any idea what the boxes on the roof of this ice platform are for?

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  I have template cut and the partially assembled structure sitting on my layout so I can keeping looking at it from different angles and decide which way I want to go with this.  As of today, I haven't heard from anyone that has a guess as to what the boxes are for on the top of the roof of the ice platform in the picture above. I will be off and running on this build again in a couple days.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Looking at this photo for the past 5 minutes has me believing they aren't on the roof of the platform at all, and actually part of the structure behind it.

In fact, what your distant arrow is pointing at seems to be the main part of this background structure...

In this photo, for instance, the background structure is close enough that (at the right angle) could appear to be part of the ice platform:

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on February 01, 2022, 02:00:51 PM
Looking at this photo for the past 5 minutes has me believing they aren't on the roof of the platform at all, and actually part of the structure behind it.

In fact, what your distant arrow is pointing at seems to be the main part of this background structure...

In this photo, for instance, the background structure is close enough that (at the right angle) could appear to be part of the ice platform:

Craig

Upon further review, I think you are correct. It must be the angle of the photograph. I still do not understand what they would be for, on any structure, but I'm not going to worry about them for the ice platform.  It must be my Engineering blood but I can't stand not understanding what something is for. Thank you for your help and good luck with your move.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on February 01, 2022, 05:00:10 PM
Hey Craig:

I think you might be rights.

Karl

Karl

Great minds think alike, thank you my friend.
John Siekirk