FSM Kit # 240 Branchline Water Tank - 2022 Challenge (2)

Started by S&S RR, January 02, 2022, 09:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This thread will be the home to my second 2022 Challenge build the FSM Kit #240 Branchline Water Tank.  Box opening photographs to follow.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I officially got started on this build, today.  I got the cover off the box and started by priming and assembling the four major castings that make up the base of the Water Tower.  The metal detail castings were also all prepped and primed.

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

I'll be following this closely as I have a similar kit, the water tank and tool shed combo in my stash.  Looking good so far.
Jerry

GPdemayo

I've got this on also John, looking forward to seeing what you do with this build.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

I'll be following. I really like that stone texture the base has.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on January 05, 2022, 08:03:18 AM
John,

I'll be following this closely as I have a similar kit, the water tank and tool shed combo in my stash.  Looking good so far.

Jerry

Thank you for following along - I built the water tank and tool shed combo kit about 30 years ago - great kit. It's on my layout providing a water stop for my steam locomotives in the mountains.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 05, 2022, 08:29:26 AM
I've got this on also John, looking forward to seeing what you do with this build.  :)

Greg

Thank you for following along.  This first deviation from the traditional kit will be the color of the stones - I will be going with the browns and grays of the stones on my layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 05, 2022, 08:47:18 AM
I'll be following. I really like that stone texture the base has.

Curt

Thank you for following along - there are many textures in the base including stones, bricks, wood, and concrete blocks. It looks like it was built from the debris found around the railroad yard.
John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

John,
Will follow along...don't have this one here on the shelf, but tips for doing the water tower in the John Allen Special kit will be very close...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

NEMMRRC

GPdemayo

Quote from: S&S RR on January 05, 2022, 12:22:33 PM

Greg

Thank you for following along.  This first deviation from the traditional kit will be the color of the stones - I will be going with the browns and grays of the stones on my layout.

Sounds like a plan.....I'll be watching.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on January 05, 2022, 12:37:27 PM
John,
Will follow along...don't have this one here on the shelf, but tips for doing the water tower in the John Allen Special kit will be very close...
Tommy

Tommy

I don't have the John Allen Special kit so I'm not sure how close the Water Tanks are.  Thank you for following along.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 05, 2022, 04:51:00 PM
Cool!

I am interested to see how it turns out.

Jaime

Jaime

Thank you for following along - we will see how this one goes.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 06, 2022, 09:54:35 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on January 05, 2022, 12:22:33 PM

Greg

Sounds like a plan.....I'll be watching.  :)

Yup - you got to have a plan.  Thank you for following along Greg
John Siekirk

S&S RR

This evening on painted the brick and cement block portions of the foundation walls.  I wanted the paint to cure overnight before I start adding the chalk and alcohol to color the stones.

John Siekirk