2022 Challenge Build - The Angebilt Hotel

Started by ReadingBob, January 29, 2022, 01:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Here's my 2022 Challenge Build.  It's The Angebilt Hotel.  Well, a representation of the Angebilt Hotel in Orlando.  In actuality it's the Bachmann's Ambassador Hotel which looks like the Angebilt Hotel.  I've been subcontracted to build this for the A&S railroad at the bequest of the Ticket Agent (better known as the Judge).  The Judge provided me with the following pictures of the real Angebilt Hotel.

Because the Judge is a much better storyteller than I'll ever be I'll defer to him to provide any background information, tales, running commentary, etc. re. the Angebilt.  I'll just take care of building it and lighting it up.   8)

For me this will certainly be a departure from building wood craftsman kits.  I've worked with plastic kits before, mostly DPM, but it's been a long, long time.  Here's the box:

And the contents of the box.

I expect this one will take me a little while to build and there won't be a lot of pictures along the way.  The fun part will be trying to make it look like it's not a plastic kit.  That means painting everything and not relying on the 'molded in color' plastic deal.  ;D

More in just a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Lots of parts.  I'll be busy with this one for a while.

My preference, and it's purely a preference as there's no right or wrong way, is to remove the parts from the sprue with sprue cutter prior to painting.  I checked and the part number, for the walls at least, is molded on the back of the wall rather than on the sprue.  Else I would have written the number on the back of each wall.  ;)

I use an emery board to smooth out the cuts and remove any flash.  There's a lot of parts so this will keep me busy for a while.

There several some mailboxes included in the kit that consist of two parts each (front and back).  I decided to glue these together prior to painting but what I really wanted to do here was test the bottle of plastic cement that's been sitting on my workbench for who knows how long.  I learned, the hard way, that the stuff does go bad.  By the hard way I mean I was trying to build a Jordon kit and if the glue is bad, it's like trying to glue things together with water.  :o

Turns out the glue is still good (I had already picked up a new bottle just in case).   :)  I sanded the sides of the mailbox with an ultra fine filing stick.

That's all for now.  Back to the workbench to trim more parts from their sprues. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jerry

Well it looks like you really have a challenge there Bob!

But I'm sure it's in capable hands.

This should be a great follow along.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

Should be interesting, Bob.

I'll be checking in on your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

craftsmankits

Cool stuff Bob, can't wait to see what you do with it!  Mark

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Vietnam Seabee

I've been by the Ange' many many times...this will be fun to follow
Terry

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Just booked for an extended stay on this thread...
Looks like a great place to go to...Will enjoy the free breakfast daily.
The views look great too...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com