FSM Kit # 240 Branchline Water Tank - 2022 Challenge (2)

Started by S&S RR, January 02, 2022, 09:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey John:

You are quite welcome. Looks like you are off to A good start on the tank.

Kafrl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Next step was to glue the tank to the base and the roof to the tank. I found the perfect tool for holding the roof in place, a plastic cup, while the glue dried.  Yes, the weight is off center, that's where it wanted to be to make the roof level.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

While the glue was drying for the roof I started to glue the tank band lugs on.

John Siekirk

deemery

How are you doing the bands?  What glue are you using?  This is one of those things where either you have to be really good to get the hoop correctly positioned the first time, or like the rest of us, allow for adjustment :-) :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 15, 2022, 10:31:52 AM
How are you doing the bands?  What glue are you using?  This is one of those things where either you have to be really good to get the hoop correctly positioned the first time, or like the rest of us, allow for adjustment :-) :-)

dave

Dave

If you go back a page or two you will see where I scribed the tank sheeting, as per George's instructions. It works great - the thread for the bands fits into the groves and if you pull it tight it stays put.  I added small dots of glue (titebond III) in a few places just to make sure. This is not my first water tower and I now enjoy building them - I hated putting the bands on until this one. 

Note: I called George and told him how I liked his technique.  He said and I quote "I hated putting bands on water tanks, this is the best way I have found to do it". 

Try it on your next water tank, I think you will like it.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on nicely, John.

I do question the amount of lime leaching around the brickwork.  I find it stands out too much for my liking on this model - even when viewing from a distance.  It kind of distracts from the beautiful stonework.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on January 15, 2022, 01:52:23 PM
Coming on nicely, John.

I do question the amount of lime leaching around the brickwork.  I find it stands out too much for my liking on this model - even when viewing from a distance.  It kind of distracts from the beautiful stonework.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

You make a great point - I need to go after those bricks with the eraser some more.  You will notice that the bricks in the front are better, but I still think some should go there, too.  Thank you for the good eye.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 15, 2022, 02:34:08 PM
Hey John:

Sure does look just beautiful.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, I'm pretty happy with the way it is turning out.  Now for the finishing touches.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made a little more progress on this build, today. A few detail castings were added, rafter tails were added,  and the shingles started going on the roof. I'm using the Campbell shingles that came with the kit on this build.

John Siekirk