2022 Challenge Build. FOS REA Freight House

Started by PRR Modeler, January 04, 2022, 03:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you, Mark, Greg, Bob, Tom, Karl, and Mark D., for following along and your kind comments.

I have mounted the lighting on both sides of the freight house (3 exterior lights each side). I've finished all the door, window treatments and all the add on walls are completed. In the last 2 days made 2 different errors.

In the first one I was supposed to put "corrugated siding" on the add-on that sits on the roof on the main office. I put the corrugation on the wrong side of one wall (no extra and put on with transfer tape) so after thinking about it I decided to put 2x10 planks on the walls instead. Afterward I stained with Hunterline Med Brown followed by a coat of A&I.

The second one I thought I had put together correctly (based on bracing diagram, instructions, and very poor photo in the instructions). I placed 2x10's on the upper part of the walls of the upper back office. After I got ready to add the decorative pieces, I discovered that they were too long. I went online to look at the pictures at the FOS site and sure enough I did it wrong. Since I couldn't pull the 2x10's off the only option was to shorten the detail parts which I did. In the photo there will be a roof that separates the two parts of the back office. A 4-sided peaked roof with 4 add-on's sits on top of the flat roof.

Next up is putting in the freight house roof bracing which I'm nervous about because the instructions stress how fragile they are and I'm pretty ham handed.

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

hey Curt:

Like I said looks good and I especially like the colors you are using.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you, Karl, for your kind words and following along.

Since the last post I placed the roof supports (very fragile) requiring several repairs and the next day I attached the freight house roof and happily both played well together. After that I attached an add-on that fits under the roof on the truck pickup side. The smaller add-on room that's on the roof with a roof attached is permanently attached. The large add-on is not attached. Although the instructions say to attach it before adding roofing and 4 vestibules, I will mount it after that. The side that has the long low roofed add-on is trackside. The area by the doors on that side will have a long platform.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

Looking good Curt , can't wait to see it lit.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Mark Dalrymple

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

hey Curt:

you are quite welcome. like I said great job on this kit.

Karl