Period Miniatures Combination Station

Started by Janbouli, January 10, 2022, 07:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

So after a very long time of doing nothing in modeling I started a kit build , nothing spectacular but it will do for now .

Photo on the box, I have no clue how old this kit is , black and white photo , not laser-cut and metal cast doors , windows and details.

Instructions are okay, they could use a few photo's or drawings more.

The parts are neatly packaged. As I said not laser-cut , if you make scans of the wood parts you could easily build one or two more of the same buildings , using other doors and such, these older kits are not much more then a scratchbuild.

Before cutting I tend to tape the backside with masking tape , it helps prevent cuts tearing or breaking and if this does happen it's easier to fix because the piece stays in place.

Cutting out doors and windows , I cut so that the openings are just a little smaller then the object is , then sanding them to a tight fit.

After cutting I started with bracing.

I love photo's, don't we all.

ReadingBob

Nice start Jan!

Wow.  That really adds another layer to the term 'craftsman'.  Sort of makes you appreciate lasers doesn't it?  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

Ahh, a die cut kit.  Like the old FSM and Campbell ones.  Looking forward to your build on this.

Jeff

Janbouli

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 10, 2022, 07:19:39 AM
Nice start Jan!

Wow.  That really adds another layer to the term 'craftsman'.  Sort of makes you appreciate lasers doesn't it?  ;)

It does have the advantage of not having the burnt sides  ;)

GPdemayo

Nice structure.....I'll be looking in on this build Jan. :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looks like a neat kit, Janbouli.

I'll be following your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Jan

I like the kit and you are off to a great start.  It's great to see you modeling again!

Note: On Jeff's comment above - I'm sure George would like everyone to know that his "before lasers kits" were cut out with a table saw, not die cut. Joint lines in the window openings to make the process work. I think George made every cut with some very expensive saw blades. I had a long discussion with him about the process one day. It gives me a new appreciation for his old kits every time I build one. The discussion came up when I told him I noticed the difference because I was responsible for dies in the automotive industry. He really enjoyed describing his process to me.  I currently build my scratch built clapboard walls using George's process.  For one outs - it is much cheaper and easier than owning a laser. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Janbouli

Thanks all for following along , I'm off to the train room now !

postalkarl

Hey Jan:

Looks like A nice kit. I will be following along.

Karl

bparrish

Jan............

I have on my to-do shelf a Period Minatures #15 velocipede kit that has to be from the mid 1980's.   They are great kits and force you back to older construction techniques as the are not lazer cut.

I'll be looking in.

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Janbouli

vinceg

I'm definitely following. You have already quintupled my scratch building knowledge!

Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Oldguy

Talk about a blast from the past.  This should be interesting to watch.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli