Challenge build 2021. Act IV.

Started by Zephyrus52246, January 22, 2022, 04:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Next up is a CB&Q station.  This is a special kit offered by a CB&Q dealer from LaserKit  (AMB models). 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

There's siding, roof and base pieces, trim pieces, roofing material, a chimney, instructions and precut windows (woo hoo!).  You'll notice there is no stripwood.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The instruction start wiht some building history and general info on toos, painting, etc.  One advantage is only two paint colors.  Maybe my desk top won't have a million paint bottles on it with this build.   ::)

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Parts reference picture, and an explanation of which parts to paint which color, which I find very useful.  8)

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

Good to have you aboard, Curt.  First the edges of the laser cut walls need to be squared on the True Sander. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The two long walls are made up of three pieces, held together by masking tape.  Due to "large enough sheets of board and batten material being unavailable".  I'm going to remove the tape and but bracing in these areas.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The instructions do not indicate (nor include any wood for) bracing.  I can hear you all gasping in disbelief.   :o There are three interior walls which may help keep things aligned and it is glued to a base as well.  I'm going to brace the corners and end pieces at this time to prevent warping.  Of note, I have a larger station from this kit manufacturer that I built many years ago.  it's only braced at the corners and along the base, and I don't see any warping.  I'm also going to go paint the interior walls flat black to help prevent warping.  Into the paint booth they go!

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Great progress. Interesting about the walls for bracing.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Ah yes, another interesting build to follow along with.   ;)   It's really neat that it's a model of a structure from the RR you model and not just a generic substitute. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Jeff

I will be following along - the bracing is a good idea.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

Jeff,
Will follow along on your CB&Q build...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for following, guys.  Of course, while checking out which parts need painting, I noticed there are two roof braces which will, of course, interfere with the braces I put on the end pieces.   :P  So like every build, I had to remove some parts of the bracing.  Looking now, I think I needed to horizontally brace the walls as wel. as this is how they looked after staining the walls with the Vetero stain.  I even put them under weights while drying for awhile.  They look the same after painting.  With the separator walls to the interior, this is going to be interesting to try to brace them horizontally.  I checked my previous model, which I didn't do any interior painting nor bracing on and there's no warping there.  Weird.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Yesterday wasn't the best day for this kit.  After rebracing one of the side walls.  Two of the braces had moved when I put the weight on them.  So they had to be removed AGAIN and redone.  Also at this time, I noticed none of the windows fit.  Either they didn't fit to start with, or more likely, the painting/staining swelled the wood.  So these were dutifully sanded out to fit the windows/doors.  Broke one of the windows while fitting.  After a time out while contemplating making this a burned down station, I figured a way to straighten the walls.  Each spot between bracing and the interior walls was individually fitted for top and bottom braces.  As I don't have nearly as many clamps as others on the forum (I'm lookin' at you John), I did each bay individually.  This also enabled using a very heavy angle iron to hold the wall flat. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

This ended up working fairly well.  The top pieces are slightly higher than the wall as a piece of stripwood goes across the top and this will give it some gluing surface. 

Jeff