FOS Barlows BBQ

Started by Oldguy, January 27, 2022, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Up next is another eatery.  Everything looks fairly standard.  A copy pages of what-to-do, bracing diagram, and parts diagram.

Come close to running out of clothes pins and had to bring out the big guns to finish up.  At this stage I had added the nail holes and once the glue dried, it was off to the A&I bath.

I liked the original paint scheme, so It'll that way.  I will use Antique Iron for the main house and diner section.  Not sure if I will add an overlay of sponged-on Heritage Brick.  Trim will be Vintage White and the middle section will be Yellow Ochre. 

The kit had the diner section have a take out window on the end.  I wanted to change that to the main door ( screen door vestibule) and at the same time eliminate the long side door.  The take out window would be moved to the middle section where I envision the BBQ pit to be located.  Unfortunately, the diner siding is unique and nothing I have on hand.  I thought I might have some, but can't locate my odd ball stash.

I will use a tilt out window on the middle section, which will require filling in the opening a bit.  I was concerned over this siding as well, but finally realized that it is a card covered in corrugated siding.  Woo hoo! 

Now where is that odd ball siding?
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

You're making good time on this kit, Bob.  I love the look of it and will be following along.
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

Zephyrus52246

I'll be watching as I started this kit last April, but then got involved working on the layout (that effort later petered out as well when work became so busy I basically lost all interest).  Interested to see what you do with it.

Jeff

ReadingBob

I'm following along as well.  It's a fun kit to build.  My first build of it resides on the A&S but I have another in my stash waiting for me to build it.  :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

I'll be following along. Great progress so far.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Been slow going.  I have decided to replace the diner side, the one with a door, with a new piece.  I have ordered replacement siding from both Mt Albert and Northeastern.  It'll be interesting which will arrive first.  But then, Tuesday, we are scheduled for an ice storm followed by 12 inches of snow, so who knows when they might arrive.
I have gotten most wall covered in Antique Iron powder and trim painted white.  The two whitish pieces are the front and back walls of the center section.  These get covered in corrugated siding, hence the vertical guide lines.  I replaced the front wall window with the takeout window from the diner section.  It has a shelf, but it doesn't show well head-on.

I have modified the diner take-out  bump out, to accept a door, turning this into a vestibule (seen in the first photo).  All I had to do was finish cutting out the opening and add some 4x4 trim.  I have a selection of RSLaserKits screen doors and choose the one shown.

Since I do plan on adding some interior lighting, I had to go back and add some horizontal members to support a floor card.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Bob.

Neat door.

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

I look forward to seeing this come together.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Nice going so far, Bob!
That screen door is fantastic.  I am constantly amazed at the beautifully engineered laser components now available.  I still have a few of the old wood doors punched out with a die that instructed you to use the head of a pin for a doorknob. 

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA